Confusion about Monstera issue: Apps, flower shops, and friends say different things

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Hi, everyone!
Recently 2 of my Monstera's leaves became like this :cry:
I tried asking at flower shops, but their staff didn't have an answer. I tried a Flower App and it indicated a bacterial infection. And then some of my friends said the plant could be missing nutrients or sunlight. I also looked online and got even more confused.

Please, help: Which one is it? What is happening with my plant? How can I treat this?

Thank you!
IMG_5937.jpg
IMG_5941.jpg

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
How much do you water it? Does it have good drainage? Does it sit in water? Do you spray the leaves?
A lot of the time house plants get over watered and killed by it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Logan and suggest you check the roots of your plants. Once root rot sets in you have to act quickly to correct this.

We cannot see the rest of the plant from your photos, and cannot see any sign of insects there, so it is far more probable that incorrect watering is the problem.
Is the pot big enough for the plant? When is the last time it had fresh compost? When do you feed it? Do you have central heating ? Can the plant see daylight?
Do please let us know - by the way, welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Country
Finland
How much do you water it? Does it have good drainage? Does it sit in water? Do you spray the leaves?
A lot of the time house plants get over watered and killed by it.

Thank you for your answer! I am now closely preventing over-watering and put the plant in a position where it gets more sunlight. It is not cured yet, but hopefully, it will survive.

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I agree with Logan and suggest you check the roots of your plants. Once root rot sets in you have to act quickly to correct this.

We cannot see the rest of the plant from your photos, and cannot see any sign of insects there, so it is far more probable that incorrect watering is the problem.
Is the pot big enough for the plant? When is the last time it had fresh compost? When do you feed it? Do you have central heating ? Can the plant see daylight?
Do please let us know - by the way, welcome to the forum :)

Thank you for your answer!
You are correct. There are no insects, the pot is big enough and the roots seem okay.
I am now closely preventing over-watering and put the plant in a position where it gets more sunlight. It is not cured yet, but hopefully, it will survive.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just in case your plant has thrips, it would be quite a good idea to use a yellow sticky catcher just to be on the safe side. The leaf shows a lot of mottling and they are very tiny creatures.
1613924717361.png

Ask a Question