Confusing tree color

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!
My grandmother recently passed and I have inherited care of her garden. There is one tree that I cannot identify and is suffering from, I suspect, a micronutrient deficiency. Almost all of the tree's leaves are thin and chlorotic. The tree is maybe ten feet tall and is very shrubby. I have attached a photo of the flower which I think is blooming at the axillary bud. Thank you for your input!

Best, sc.

Attachments

• IMG_6558.JPG
    IMG_6558.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_6559.JPG
    IMG_6559.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 240
Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought about citrus, but the petals all are bent inwards as opposed to back like most all citrus flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't know, but it's kind of looking more like a shrub now, than a tree. I'm now thinking it's some kind of fruit that grows on that, but I don't know, hope someone else chimes in. I notice you have some Spanish moss on one of the limbs. I'm guessing you live somewhere in the SE.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Hi, @Hallie !
It's like a Magnolia figo. One of the species. I think I saw such a plant with pink flowers too. In any case, very similar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi, @Hallie !
It's like a Magnolia figo. One of the species. I think I saw such a plant with pink flowers too. In any case, very similar.
Damn, I got that way wrong, not even a fruit tree:oops:

But somehow I knew Larisa would save me...she just wanted to let me flail a little before stepping in;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, thats totally it!! Wonderful, thank you! Wow, then there is definitely something wrong with the ground right there.

Thanks a bunch, y'all!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Damn, I got that way wrong, not even a fruit tree:oops:

But somehow I knew Larisa would save me...she just wanted to let me flail a little before stepping in;)

@roadrunner You are just very practical. (y) If the tree grows, it must bear fruit. :D This is the right approach! (By the way, the leaves are actually similar to citrus).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I concur with Larisa. This is a Port-wine Magnolia or Banana Magnolia (Magnolia figo). Older sources will call it Michelia figo. It is native to eastern China. Also I just read that there was once a population Jeju Island off the coast of Korea, but the plant is now extirpated there.

Ask a Question