Concrete garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We've been in this house since 2001 and maybe it's about time we convert the concrete into a lawn. The summer heat reverberates in the terrace because the sunlight bounces on the concrete. Maybe if it is a lawn, the grass will absorb the heat and relieves our house of excess heat. And maybe the dogs will appreciate doing their thing on the grass than on hot concrete during midday.

The road is on the left and the terrace on the right with the blue grills.
IMG_6750.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can grass growing there replacing the concrete and I can see your dogs happily enjoy doing business without burning their paws. I say go for it, if this area is not use for anything else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think a lawn would look lovely there! And I'm sure your dogs would appreciate it too :) Looks like it'll be a big job to remove all that concrete though, I don't envy you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Corzhens, I envy you...probably more than I envy anyone else at this time. That yard is absolutely amazing. I love the concrete terrace and the ornate concrete fencing. I also love the little rock wall you have built on the left side of the picture. Talk about an escape from the rest of the world! Do you live in town? Would never know the way that is closed off from the outside..love it. Would be awesome if you could share some more pictures of the whole area...kind of like a mini tour.

I agree with everyone else.. Grass would definitely help cool off the area. I imagine being in the Philippines, the sun can get pretty torturous and would be like an anvil beating down on that concrete in the summer. A word of caution. If and when you convert this from concrete to grass, make sure you have the lawn slightly elevated on one side so the water drains out and doesn't pool up. Even half a degree in elevation would do wonders. I say all this because a friend of mine had a similar closed of back yard and when they redid it, they didn't take into account drainage. Now when it rains they have a small lake for a yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I too think it looks like a really neat area - I think grass there would be great. I'm not sure of the cost there in terms of ripping up all that concrete, I think here it would be kind of expensive to undertake a task like that. But I do think it would be worthwhile - the coolness would be lovely.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ripping up the concrete could give you a space that is more enjoyable and more comfortable for the dogs. The heat would no longer be an issue.

Reaction score
@Corzhens You are absolutely right! A lawn will surely gives a greener scenery outside your house and a nice atmosphere where by passers outside the street will take a second look if they will see the green lawn and your dogs will surely be happy too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I agree, it will look nicer, and be better for the dogs in the summer heat. Dog paws are delicate and can easily burn from being on too hot pavement. Concrete gets very hot!

After you tear up the concrete, you'll need to prep the area for grass and plants to at least 6 to 12 inches of healthy soil for growth. You might want to add 1 to 2 inches of mulch. Dig down to your planting area, then fill it with the recommended blend of soil for your area. Good Luck to you. We want to see pictures of the finished project!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I agree, it will look nicer, and be better for the dogs in the summer heat. Dog paws are delicate and can easily burn from being on too hot pavement. Concrete gets very hot!

After you tear up the concrete, you'll need to prep the area for grass and plants to at least 6 to 12 inches of healthy soil for growth. You might want to add 1 to 2 inches of mulch. Dig down to your planting area, then fill it with the recommended blend of soil for your area. Good Luck to you. We want to see pictures of the finished project!

That is one of our questions - how deep should the soil be so the grass can be comfortable in the lawn. We suspect that there are rocks and old concrete under that concrete surface so that is one apprehension regarding expenses. If that would be the case then the workers would need to remove the rocks so it can be filled up with new soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If you remove the rocks and any materials that aren't ideally suited for your new grass lawn, the answer to your question is -- the minimum soil depth for a care-free lawn is four inches, but for deeper root penetration, the accepted standard is six inches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was just going to mention soil depth but tlspiegel beat me to it! You don't have to remove everything. As a matter of fact, if you go down 6 inches or a little more and find rocks (and I expect you will since concrete is usually laid down on a bed of crushed gravel) I would stop right there. That layer of rocks will help to keep the new lawn from sinking. It will also help with drainage.

Reaction score
I vote yes for the lawn ;) My mom actually did the opposite and placed concrete on a big part of her patio, because she thought that way would be less messy. I didn't like that move, but my mom has never been a fan of gardening :( I think it's cool you actually want to get rid of the concrete.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Getting rid of the concrete sounds like a truly wonderful idea, Corzhens. A green, lush lawn will look absolutely beautiful there. And I'm sure your dogs will love it too:) My little Yorkshire Terrier likes lying on grass in summer.

Ask a Question