Composting Wood?

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck composting wood? I just finished some woodworking and have about 50 peices of 2 by 4's. I remember trying to decompose wood using a black bin meant for composting, but didn't have too much luck. I made sure it received water and had the proper portions of 'dry' and 'wet' compost.

Was I doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Has anyone had any luck composting wood? I just finished some woodworking and have about 50 peices of 2 by 4's. I remember trying to decompose wood using a black bin meant for composting, but didn't have too much luck. I made sure it received water and had the proper portions of 'dry' and 'wet' compost.

Was I doing something wrong?
The thicker it is the longer it takes..........Search Bio-char

Reaction score
Make sure it isn't treated wood.

We had a tree cut down about 5 years ago, after the ground the stump we just left the wood chips there. Added grass and things too it, and in a year I had the best compost.

Do you have a wood chipper you can run the wood through?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's a fungal process rather than the bacterial decomposition you get in compost.

Meowmie has the right idea with a chipper :)

Otherwise, keep it damp and the fungus will soon find it :)

Reaction score
I don't have a wood chopper and I probably won't go out and buy one specifically for it either. I do have a machine saw that I have been using. It would be a lot of work, but I could cut it up some more. Thanks for the input guys. Should I cover it up in some plastic wrapping to make it hotter (Does the fungus require heat)? Or should I simply keep the wood out in the open?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Look up Huglekultur. http://www.richsoil.com/hugelkultur/

I started one last winter to deal with some stumps left by tree removal. I couldn't believe how well all the plants have done. Harvested lots of bush beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, winter squash, and mustard greens and wheat for wheat grass for the dogs. Here are a few of the tomatoes from three plants.
image.jpg
This is how the hugel looked a few weeks back. A huge mass of green. Great water retention and amazing how the logs brought in the fungus and natural organisms necessary for healthy soil.
image.jpg

Like it so much I will make another with some oversized limbs I can't put in the wood stove.

You can make it above or below ground.

Ask a Question