Composting in Winter

Reaction score
This might seem like a weird questions, but is there really any composting going in during the winter? I have a black coloured compost bin that I frequently use, but I never really gave it a thought before. Since the black is used to absorb heat during the summer, what would give the bin the heat during the winter? Should I just leave the lid open and let the snow fall in there are seep through the compost?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not a weird question, you won't know unless you ask :)

It slows right down in the winter, it's the microbial activity that provides the heat, which won't really get going again till the spring.

You want the heap moist but not saturated.

Reaction score
lol unless you live in Texas, however, I don't do 'bin' composting I have a huge piled in the goat pen that is warmed by the Texas sun... some days we are in shorts in December!

Reaction score
Try and move the bin into the sun, composting will be slower in winter if you live in a cold weather zone. Don't leave the lid up or you will end up with a stinky sodden mess.

Reaction score
I have my compost in a black tube that gets direct sunlight in the winter. The process is slower, but I still make sure that I compost as much as I can.

Reaction score
I don't get the sort of freezing temperatures many of you get, but my compost is no less active in winter compared to summer, even after large rain storms during winter.

Reaction score
We can't do much composting here in the Northeast because of the cold, winter weather. It's been especially cold this year. However, spring will be here in just a few months. That's when I can start composting again.

Ask a Question