Composting in Apartments

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I need some help.

I was wondering how to compost on my apartment's balcony without making it smell. Can I compost it indoors? I started making a compost pile using food scraps, leaf clippings, raw meat. I think my compost pile is starting to smell.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello! I need some help.

I was wondering how to compost on my apartment's balcony without making it smell. Can I compost it indoors? I started making a compost pile using food scraps, leaf clippings, raw meat. I think my compost pile is starting to smell.

Thanks!
Never, ever use meat either raw or cooked in your compost. Do not put anything in your pile that has oil on or in it. No cheese either. Keep your compost damp, not wet and turn it every couple of weeks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Never, ever use meat either raw or cooked in your compost. Do not put anything in your pile that has oil on or in it. No cheese either. Keep your compost damp, not wet and turn it every couple of weeks
Thanks! I keep that in mind. I do turn my compost every 3 days.

Can I put eggshells? I hear that adds calcium to the compost pile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks! I keep that in mind. I do turn my compost every 3 days.

Can I put eggshells? I hear that adds calcium to the compost pile.
Eggshells are fine and I put them in mine but it takes a long time for them to break down. You are turning it way too often. A compost pile must be allowed to build up heat. A good hot pile will reach 120 F - 140 F and if you keep turning it so often it cannot reach proper temps. You will have a hotter pile if you water it with carbohydrates such as left over soft drinks like coke and pepsi or beer. Not too much just enough to keep the entire thing moist

Ask a Question