Composting in a refuse bin

Reaction score
We have refuse bins to put organic waste in, although I want to use the organic matter i have for compost. I was thinking however would it be fine to use the bin for composting? Previously I had just left a heap outside covered over, but was not sure if keeping it enclosed in the bin would hinder the composting process.

Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't work. You might have to open up the lid every now and then. In fact, I wonder if it would work more effectively and quickly this way. I'd love to see someone who has tried it chime in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You need organisms from the soil to aerobically de-compose your waste.
Your compost heap requires contact with the soil in order to acquire these organisms, or you can buy compost accelerator.
Just leaving it in the bin will gain you a fowl-smelling an-aerobic mess.

Reaction score
You need organisms from the soil to aerobically de-compose your waste.
Your compost heap requires contact with the soil in order to acquire these organisms, or you can buy compost accelerator.
Just leaving it in the bin will gain you a fowl-smelling an-aerobic mess.

You don't need contact with the soil, as I know of people who compost on a concrete garage floor or in bins. But typically these people add worms to their compost. If you want to compost in bins, make sure to add some air holes, keep the stuff moist (but not sopping), and go to your local general store and buy a tub of nightcrawlers come springtime.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Remember to have BOTH green and brown materials (shredded paper, dried leaves, cardboard). This will keep your compost getting air, and keep the worms from drowning. Good luck with your bin.

Ask a Question