Compost

Reaction score
Two compost questions
I have been making compost out of about 2/3 green and 1/3 oak leaves in a 3X3 ft wire container for about 2 years. Now It looks like just dry chopped up leaves not like black compost like I expected. What can I do to make the leaves decay?
I have an area about 20X20 ft that has had weed guard and about 2 to 3 in of mulch that has turner to what looks like black fine compost. Is this good compost that could be used around vegetables?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Two compost questions
I have been making compost out of about 2/3 green and 1/3 oak leaves in a 3X3 ft wire container for about 2 years. Now It looks like just dry chopped up leaves not like black compost like I expected. What can I do to make the leaves decay?
I have an area about 20X20 ft that has had weed guard and about 2 to 3 in of mulch that has turner to what looks like black fine compost. Is this good compost that could be used around vegetables?
Oak leaves take a long time to decay but you can speed up the process by using a molasses spray or drench at the rate of 1 oz per gallon of water. Also turning the compost pile over every couple of months will also help greatly especially using the molasses at the same time.

I presume that the weed guard you are speaking of is the fabric to prevent weeds? If so then the compost on top will be fine for your vegetables

Ask a Question