Compost Mix Question

Reaction score
Recently I had delivered a load of topsoil for a raised garden that I built. I have about half of the load left after filling in the bed. I have never composted before but want to build one so I have this question - Since I have so much topsoil left, can I add it to the compost materials (leaves, leftovers, charcoal grill ash, etc.) and if so, what would be a good ratio of material to topsoil ? By the way, has anyone ever used duckweed in composting ? I have a half acre pond full of it. Thanks for your answers........Newbie.

Reaction score
Recently I had delivered a load of topsoil for a raised garden that I built. I have about half of the load left after filling in the bed. I have never composted before but want to build one so I have this question - Since I have so much topsoil left, can I add it to the compost materials (leaves, leftovers, charcoal grill ash, etc.) and if so, what would be a good ratio of material to topsoil ? By the way, has anyone ever used duckweed in composting ? I have a half acre pond full of it. Thanks for your answers........Newbie.

Hi Jim. I'm new to composting but from what I've read, I would think topsoil would be fine. Depends on the amount if it would dilute the nutritional value of the compost you add it to. Duckweed is plant material so it should be ok. Chop it up with a shovel a little maybe...if they have thick stems. Other s more experienced should chime in here if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Compost in its final form is topsoil. All compost is, is decomposing organic matter. As for a ratio I try to keep about 40% green material to 60% brown material, but actually just about any amount of either is OK as long as it turned over once in awhile and kept moist. I would keep your topsoil in one pile and make a seperate compost pile and add a shovel or two of topsoil to keep the ratio of topsoil to your compost at about 10%-20%. I think if you just add organic matter to the topsoil you would end up with a muddy mess and be almost impossible to to turn and maintain. As far as using duckweed I would imagine it would be great.

Ask a Question