Compost From Animal Waste

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have cattle in my farm, which produces over 100 kg waste daily. I want to make compost from animal waste. Someone told me that there is a machine that makes compost from animal waste. Do you know anything such as this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I haven't heard of a composting machine. Cattle manure is the favorite fertilizer of my husband. He used to get cattle manure from my brother's boss who has a ranch. The manure is laid out on the ground to dry under the sun for 2 to 5 days before applying to the plots. But for composting, I guess you have to make a huge compost bin to contain that big volume of cattle manure. If you are here, I'm sure there are buyers who would use that for fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have cattle in my farm, which produces over 100 kg waste daily. I want to make compost from animal waste. Someone told me that there is a machine that makes compost from animal waste. Do you know anything such as this?
There are commercial machines designed specifically for this type of thing but they cost a LOT of money. If you have a tractor and enough land the best technique of composting for the amount of manure you produce is called windrow composting.
http://www.cias.wisc.edu/windrow-composting-systems-can-be-feasable-cost-effective/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Where I come from raw cow manure seems to be the fertilizer of choice. You can't drive past a farm without catching a whiff of all that manure, but when you live out in the country, you get used to that smell and begin to prefer it over chemical smells. However, since composted manure doesn't stink, but instead smells more or less like soil, you're good. I think manure composting works much the same way as any other type of composting. You lay out a layer of dry straw on the ground, cover that with a layer of manure and repeat until you have several layers, and then cover it with soil. You turn it over every couple days or so, and check the temperature every so often to make sure it's working and then when it stops heating up in the center, it's done. I have no idea what type of thermometer you'd have to use to do this, but it's definitely a messy process. I understand that when completely composted the manure has the appearance, smell and texture of dirt, if that helps you to figure out when to use it.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
There are commercial machines designed specifically for this type of thing but they cost a LOT of money. If you have a tractor and enough land the best technique of composting for the amount of manure you produce is called windrow composting.
http://www.cias.wisc.edu/windrow-composting-systems-can-be-feasable-cost-effective/
Thanks for the link. I have checked this out and I think it answers my question in some way. Letting the animal waste dry in the sun decreases the fertility capacity of the fertilizer because nitrogen contained in the animal waste will be released in the atmosphere. Thus I am lookin for alternate ways to composite animal waste.

Ask a Question