Composite decking / glass fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! We’re looking to do our garden out soon. We’ve decided on composite decking to replace our current patio. My question is - can composite (or any) decking be built against a garage wall? There’s currently a 1 foot drop at the end of our artificial grass onto a small path in front of our garage. We have a 7 month old who will soon be walking, so I’m worried about this drop. I’m thinking we could put composite decking where the path is so it’s level with the grass? The only problem is, it would mean the decking would be 1 foot high against the garage wall, which I’m not sure would cause an issue with damp? Looking for any other suggestions if this isn’t feasible. Another idea is to use the glass panelled fences instead, but this means the path would be wasted space. Thank you in advance! I’ve attached some pictures as I probably haven’t explained well! (Ignore the state of the grass - we’re getting new soon!)

Attachments

• C769005E-F28C-44E6-A399-63BDD94951D7.jpeg
    C769005E-F28C-44E6-A399-63BDD94951D7.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 832D3BD9-9F53-4689-8C3D-D9E2AFD4F02F.jpeg
    832D3BD9-9F53-4689-8C3D-D9E2AFD4F02F.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 110

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Leanne0536 Welcome to the forum :)

May I ask why you need decking at all? I have used composite decking for my own back door, because the door is about a metre higher than the garden, and decking with steps saved me having to get a parachute!
There would be absolutely no reason why you cannot install the stuff if you have to butted up to the garage. It is waterproof and slip resistant. The dodgy bit is that rats and mice like to nest under it, and setting traps and poisons is even more lethal to a small child.
As for plastic grass ....why??? Gardens are for growing the real thing surely. A few shrubs, flowers, ornamental grasses and real grass might be a much more friendly place for your baby to enjoy.
If you do stick with slabs, plastic and glass etc, you might be better off looking for a good DIY forum.
I really hope you decide to stick with flowers and growing stuff.

1591117878217.png

Ask a Question