Complete beginner

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a complete beginner to fruit growing and was hoping someone could point me in th ight direction of something nice and easy to grow? I live in Ireland so it can't be anything that would need a lot of heat. No shortage of rain around here though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all,
I am a complete beginner to fruit growing and was hoping someone could point me in th ight direction of something nice and easy to grow? I live in Ireland so it can't be anything that would need a lot of heat. No shortage of rain around here though!
Berries? In some part of the US there isn't enough sunlight for fruit trees but vining undergrowth berries thrive

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If you're on acid soil you could give Blueberries a go, which part of Ireland are you in, we could probably look up the soil type :)

Reaction score
Hi derialc - although you are bit limited in what you can grow - don't think you would go too far wrong with apples, pears or plums - particularly as there are quite of few varieties of both apples and pears that are known to grow very well in Ireland - as well as Victoria Plums which apart from being extremely delicious - do grow extremely well where you are.

You could also consider growing strawberries - especially as there are quite a lot of Alpine Strawberry varieties that grow very well in Ireland - as well as one of the heavy cropping seriously delicious traditional varieties called Elsanta - which if you have a sunny spot with free draining soil - grows particularly well in Ireland and may well be the answer - as they are easy to grow either in the ground or in a container :)

Reaction score
The more common fruit trees and shrubs are your best bet for success. Berries are generally an easy going plant and not too fussy with conditions. Everything that the other posters mentioned are excellent ideas for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As far as I know, Ireland climate is like where I live in the Northwest United States. I would try strawberries as they are very easy to grow and taste delicious when they are ready to be harvested. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I was told that tomatoes and cucumbers are fruits, so I think I can mention them here:) They're both relatively easy to grow and they should do well in your climate zone.
A plum tree or an apple tree would be a good idea too:)

Ask a Question