Colonial Williamsburg Gardens

Reaction score
Country
United States
They really know how to do things there! Why can't they make houses today that look like the ones there? It's not that they would take any more lumber it just seems like they don't have the skill to design them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
They really know how to do things there! Why can't they make houses today that look like the ones there? It's not that they would take any more lumber it just seems like they don't have the skill to design them.
Good skilled carpenters are definitely needed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, I don't blame it on the carpenters it's the architects. They have lost all sense of design and they use the wrong materials. Yes, the cost is a factor it's much cheaper to use vinyl siding than wood but even if you are willing to pay the price you would be hard-pressed to find someone to draw the plans for you. I guess it's also what people are used to. Many years ago I built an addition based on pictures that I had taken in Williamsburg. I spent a day there taking pictures and measurements of everything from the foundation to the roof. I calculated the run and rise of the roof and counted the number of layers of bricks in a chimney and how the chimney was designed. When done I was able to create almost exactly (including the iron nails on the siding) of what the building looked like. It cost more because I used real wood for the siding and had to have the windows custom made in order to get the proportions correct. The only thing I skimped on was the roofing because I couldn't afford either shakes or the faux shakes that they used. All in all the outside looked as if it came off one of the back streets in Williamsburg. The extra details added a few extra thousand. But I long ago forgot the extra cost but not what the extra cost got me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qcurrys

Latest Threads