Collecting Downspout Rainwater.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Purchased three 45 gallon sealed barrels for collecting downspout rain water. $20.00 each. Barrels have two bungs one has a pipe thread and the other is a garden hose type. I used the pipe thread. Much difficulty obtaining the fittings from the local hardware stores. Eventually ordered some fitting off the internet. Each barrel on the outlet has an added shut off inline valve. The barrels are placed on two steel cable slings in the horizontal position supported by fence posts about 3 feet off the ground, and are connected together by 1/2 inch garden hose. A dip barrel is used for removing the water, and is transported to the garden area in a wheelbarrow. I had similar but used steel barrels which rusted. The present barrels are thick plastic. There is one connection to the down spout which is a plastic coupler which is removed for winter, since it freezes. Overflow is accomplished by removing the top bung in the intake barrel, water simply gushes out and flows away from the area.

Th system is not completed yet due to the ground still being frozen. I will post detailed photos when the system is completed. Three barrels is sufficient usually for my garden needs. I found it is impossible to use the barrels vertical with a hole on the cured surface. Curved surfaces always leak and often are easily broken off depending upon the wall thickness of the barrels, usually very thin. It takes a bit of searching to get all the connecting hardware. It is desirable to use existing fitting without too much basic construction.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have been collecting rain water from the house and barn for over 10 years. It sure helps when we are under a "water ration" due to the usual Texas lack of summer rain.
We have three 250 gal. cubes and two 55 gal. garbage cans with downspouts leading into them. Two cubes collect water off the barn roof, the third off the house. The two cans get water off the workshop and garage.
Our system is totally "dip and carry" but the big cubes have an on/off lever for filling buckets.
I envy you your set-up!

Attachments

• Water Collection.jpg
    Water Collection.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Water Collection 3.jpg
    Water Collection 3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 166
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
All I have now is about 10, 5-gallon buckets that I keep water in, I cover them up to keep the mosquitoes from laying eggs. I also collect water from the AC unit condensation drain, in the summer that can be as much as 5-gallons per day.

I use to keep water in a 96-gallon trash can, much like the one below, but it can't hold up the the stress of the water, so I stopped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have this, left by previous owner. But I hadn't really used it. It's full, I just don't use it to water. To lazy I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_20190310_142222774_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190310_142222774_HDR.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 164
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Vette, you aren't lazy--if there isn't a spigot at the bottom of that container, it would be virtually impossible to dip water out of it.
Roadrunner, we have open barrels, but put 1/4 of a mosquito dunk in each. No mosquito larvae! The rainwater could also have about 1/2 cup of vegetable oil added, and as it floats on top of the water, it also prevents the larvae. The problem is that in dipping out the water, the oil is depleted. We also save the AC water and use it for flowers. I have nothing against using it on edibles, but the flowers are closer and a five gallon bucket of water is heavy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Vette, you aren't lazy--if there isn't a spigot at the bottom of that container, it would be virtually impossible to dip water out of it.
Roadrunner, we have open barrels, but put 1/4 of a mosquito dunk in each. No mosquito larvae! The rainwater could also have about 1/2 cup of vegetable oil added, and as it floats on top of the water, it also prevents the larvae. The problem is that in dipping out the water, the oil is depleted. We also save the AC water and use it for flowers. I have nothing against using it on edibles, but the flowers are closer and a five gallon bucket of water is heavy!
IMG_20181210_161024269.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
17 March 2019 Rain Barrels.
Posted on March 17, 2019 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/March 2019/17 March 2019 Rain Barrels/HTML/17 March 2019 Rain Barrels.
Three Barrels were installed to collect down spout rain water. The collected water is run to a dip barrel, and moved to the garden area in a wheel barrel. Each barrel has a on/off valve not received yet. Three barrels of water is sufficient for my garden needs during the summer.
dsc_0015_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Indeed, I understand the principle, & it works, but that bag has a rose attachment, like a watering can, which could be very useful, especially to someone with back trouble, who could brace their back whilst watering.

Ask a Question