Cold Stratification Method - Improving germination

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I would like to share to you my experiment about cold stratification (with pictures about it).

See my cold stratification method: How to improve seed germination

stratification-seeds-materials.jpg

Reaction score
I actually put some pesky Mimosa seeds in a plastic bag over the winter in my fridge with nothing but seeds in the bag. It worked. Every one of them came up the next year. I may have been lucky, I was surprised. I nicked them before I planted them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
You know how stores have the gum ball machines for kids? Sometimes they have little toys that come in a plastic bubble? Those bubbles are excellent for germinating seeds. I add a piece off cotton that is wet and the seeds and place them someplace that is warm, usually within a few days they sprout although I have had beans and things like sprout almost over night. I used to use the small canisters that film come in, you know the old type that you would get 35mm film in? well they hardly make those anymore but I think in a pinch you might be able to use pill bottle. If I am just storing the seeds I use a plastic bag and put them in the refrigerator, you have to make sure they are completely dry as they could mold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks so much for this information. I am going to go try this myself. I have had the worse luck when it comes to germinating seeds that I just about gave up. This information will come in handy for me.

Ask a Question