Clover in my grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help I have invasive clover in my grass and borders and everytime I think I have got rid of it it reappears and us now climbing around my roses.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All I know is when the houses were built they laid turf over the rubble in the back garden but the clover seems to be coming from under the fence from next door neighbour who has put patio slabs down.
How do I get rid off it,don't want to try a weedkiller incase it kills the grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
All I know is when the houses were built they laid turf over the rubble in the back garden but the clover seems to be coming from under the fence from next door neighbour who has put patio slabs down.
How do I get rid off it,don't want to try a weedkiller incase it kills the grass.
I would not know because the chemicals have to be slower to effect grass than the target weed and the grass type is therefore a huge deal because different chemicals are taken in by different plants at different speeds. This is how they work. This is uptake arbitrage basically, taking advantage of differences in the plant growth speeds. In a strong part that is also why temperature during application also matters very much as the chemistry is toxic like chemotherapy and if the grass is too active with heat it will eat too much and die. Better to pull by hand until you know what plants you are dealing with

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would not be sure it is clover from your description, there are a number of trefoils with similar leaves which are more likely to climb and spread as you describe. The best way of getting it out of the grass that I know is probably a wire rake. The clover produces long shoots parallel to the ground that the rake catches, whilst the grass slides through. It is quite hard work, and I bought myself an electric powered rake that was on offer for £60 at B&Q, al ot for me, but it has been a good investment, too much raking does my back in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It probably won't get rid of it, weeds have adapted to gardeners and are tough to get rid of, but it may well control it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you can get 2,4-D or MCPP-P they work on broadleaf weeds (clovers, thistles, dandelions) without hurting grasses. Unless you have St Augustine or Bermuda grass you're good.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unless you have St Augustine or Bermuda grass you're good.
I doubt it in Lincolnshire, you guys have grasses I have never heard of. I have seen specific lawn weed killers, but never gone that route, they tend to be pretty expensive and I worry about hedges and leaching off into flower beds, our gardens tend to be smaller than yours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I doubt it in Lincolnshire, you guys have grasses I have never heard of. I have seen specific lawn weed killers, but never gone that route, they tend to be pretty expensive and I worry about hedges and leaching off into flower beds, our gardens tend to be smaller than yours.
My major hestitancy with harsh chemistry is that we have so many trees there is just no way to avoid roots. Well sure in the middle of the lawn but that is like vacuuming the center of a rug and not the edges.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Clover can be nocked back with Corn Gluten and also higher nitrogen in your lawn. Depending on your lawn type. Cutting your lawn at a Higher cut can help also.
Basically figure out what tou really have and then find out what it likes….then change that.
Sometimes you just have to live with what you got.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love clover in my grass. and drifts of moss and collections of wild violets. Boring lawn grass everywhere is just that boring.
Yup clover is nice but it does not hold up well in my yard against the kids , moss is great also and I let it take over those areas where it grows as its usually not a good environment for “lawn” grass. Im also not going out of my way to try and make areas “better” that will be constant work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yup clover is nice but it does not hold up well in my yard against the kids , moss is great also and I let it take over those areas where it grows as its usually not a good environment for “lawn” grass
I have a huge shaded garden. guess its all in the perspective of size.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a huge shaded garden. guess its all in the perspective of size.
I have learned to just find plants that like my existing environment.
Its just to much work fighting what my area wants to do naturally .
I kept up with my small garden last few years and the large full sun area of my lawn.

Ask a Question