Climbing vines

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,

Which climbing vine is suitable for Alberta Canada?.

I am looking for something that comes back every year after our harsh winters, produces flowers and is fast growing. The area in which I want the vine to be used has full sun. It also had a 7ft trellis to grow on.

Any recommendations please. Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Hops?

Some grapes. My concord grape in Northern Illinois was reliable in those winters and we hit -35 F one year.

Morning glory will grow, flower, and reseed. But it is an annual.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Clematis vines in cold climates should be able to survive the extreme temperatures.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Calgary, Alberta is now considered to be USDA Zone 4a (to -30º F/-34º C), but before 2016 it was in Zone 3b.
Clematis, Honeysuckle (Lonicera) and climbing Roses (Rosa) are all good choices for a perennial, flowering vine in Calgary, but cultivar selection is important, as only some types of these vines are hardy to Zone 4a. Is the sunny trellis against a wall of a building? Is so, this would be a more sheltered spot than a trellis set out in a garden, away from a structure.

Ask a Question