Climbing plant for inbetween buildings?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I am new to the forum and I have a question. I'm looking for suggestions for what to plant in a narrow passageway between 2 buildings. I live in Los Angeles about 3 miles from the coast which is cooler and foggier than inland. We want to planting to cover a wide area of open trellis down one side of the passageway, be flowering, low maintenance and not be too messy (such as bougainvillea). The passageway is about 6' wide, 15' high, 20' long and runs East/West. Thanks for suggestions!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you considered morning glories. They climb and have very nice flowers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Firstly, it should be said, that, with time, all plants will drop older leaves, as well as flowers and fruit if any. Therefore, the distinction between 'messy' and 'not messy' is somewhat vague at best. Of course, some plants do drop mostly in one season and some drop more evenly over the course of the year. Which of these involves less maintenance is somewhat a matter of circumstance and perspective.
Perhaps, Bougainvillea seems particularly messy to some because their fallen bracts are brightly colored and especially light-weight.

Though the description does not fully explain all parameters, such as available light, (Photos would be an immense help.) I will go out on a limb (no pun intended) and suggest several flowering vines that should work well in Los Angeles: Passionflowers (Passiflora spp.), Trumpet Vines (Bignoniaceae, various genera), and, following the previous post's lead, Blue Dawn Flower (Ipomoea indica). For something a bit more rarefied, hunt down a Cup-of-Gold Vine (Solandra maxima). This is by no means, a complete list.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Skip the Cup of Gold Vine; it's a monster. Try Star Jasmine, Lavender Trumpet Vine, Pink Jasmine, South African Jasmine, White Potato Vine(Solanum jasminoides). Check at the nearest Armstrong Garden Center and they can give you more ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cup-of-Gold Vine (Solandra maxima) is vigorous, if that is what you mean, but rampant growth is often a benefit with vines.
Besides, all the vines mentioned in this thread will need to be pruned back in a finite space sooner or later.

If Solandra maxima is a monster, it is a most beautiful monster.
Solandra-maxima-cup-of-gold-vine-ryanbenoitphoto-thehorticult-untitled-43-3.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since it doesn't twine or cling, it takes lots of space and/or work to keep it under control.
That isn't so difficult or laborious a trait to manage. Besides the description mentions an 'open' trellis, which sounds fitting.
Many popular vines clamber, instead of cling or twine. The same could be said of a climbing Rose (Rosa spp.).

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Something that is low maintenance (except from cutting back) is the Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) or the Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) but they don't flower. However in Autumn they change color to vivid red which is a pretty stunning effect.

Ask a Question