Climbing America

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
I'm in love with this rose! And when I'm at the cottage - I tell her everyday just how much I love her ❤️ When I first planted this, it had so many beautiful blooms. As seen in the first image.

When I arrived at the cottage today a branch full of buds and blooms had broken off. Too heavy??
When do you start training a climbing plant on a trellis ? Is this plant still too small? I just assumed if I had it tied on a trellis the buds wouldn't have cause the branch to break?
Also I'm scared to break a branch as I train it on a trellis?

Should I deadhead this as I do other roses, it already has no new buds forming:(

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Lynn, you can start training your America on a trellis any time now. Just put in a trellis that will be tall enough for the mature rose--trying to un-install a short trellis and replace it with a larger one with a full grown rose "helping" you is very difficult! When you start tieing your stems to the trellis, be sure to NOT tie them tightly. I use soft hemp in a figure 8 pattern, with one 0 of the hemp around the trellis part, and the other around the stem. This allows for some movement and also growth of the stem.
Dead head by all means. If you want, you can fertilize lightly after the blooms are spent.
That is a lovely rose. I certainly see why you are so fond of it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
Thanks so much for the information - as a new Gardner who spent way too much money on plants this year- I'd like to start them off right . I appreciate the advice

Ask a Question