Climbing America ..again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
hi friends,
ive asked before about training my roses on a trellis, but I'm not quite sure it was big enough at the time, now that's it grown some, I'm wondering if I planted it to far from the structure?
How much do I train, do I part bend and tie the small Stems too? Would I take this big cluster and try and tie the stems more horizontally?
Would I pull the front stems all the way back to the trellis?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It looks as if you have planted the rose at the right distance from the trellis. Tie canes, not small stems (canes are stronger and can withstand more stress from being tied.)
On your second photo, I'd tie the rose's main stem (the one with the cluster of blooming roses) about 2/3 of the way up from the ground. I'd also tie the stem with the buds about half-way between the buds and where that branch joins the main stem.
I use garden hemp (soft but hefty string) in a loose figure 8 pattern. Loop around the rose cane, cross the string, and then loop and tie to the trellis. This gives room for the canes to move and doesn't let the string cut into the canes. The hemp does deteriorate and have to be replaced eventually, but is so much kinder to the rose than tape, or plastic ties.
That is a lovely rose, and obviously very well cared for!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
Thanks so much.

Both of those were tied already, maybe I just need to tie them a bit lower. Last time I had that many clusters it broke off so this time when I see the buds, I made sure it was tied.

So the stems in the front will eventually get tied when they get taller?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The newer stem, the one that is red in the photo, may not lend itself to being tied to the trellis. If it wants to wander, it can be cut off. The others look as if they will be "trainable" and can be tied.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
Oh good to know, thank you again.
I would never think of cutting that stem its good to know I can.

I've noticed with my other rose bushes , sunsprite every time I cut off stems a new one seems to grow in its place and now to me it seems very condensed and has stopped blooming. I treated it for white mold as well as caterpillars recently could that be why?

Ask a Question