Climate Change

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
us
We can't. Since the climate is always changing and has changed since the beginning of time what makes you think it can be arbitrarily changed now. And what makes you think that the climate of today isn't what it is normal? Or perhaps the climate of tomorrow will be normal? Or the climate of 1000 years ago was normal.
What all climate change advocates believe is that the climate should just stop and not change an iota. What would happen to the planet if the climate did not change? No one knows because it has never happened and it never will.

signed
A DENIER

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
us
How can we reasonably stop climate change as of today by increasing the gardening and planting?
Theories crash into reality when the pre-suppositions of your question are considered. For example, as growers we are always considering the metrics of mass. In order to understand and develop your questions better, you should consider the change in temperature, the mass of the system, and the substance and phase of the substance. Let me say in a tongue in cheek way that it is no small matter.

Signed
Aso Birda

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
us
The only thing I'm trying to change is the biodiversity in my little part of the world;)
Grow more carbon sinks, if you like. As for me, OCO is a valuable gas that feeds plants. The more, the merrier. We are near the lowest amount of OCO in the atmosphere, so I'm not worried about a little more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
us
That is assuming there is climate change, of which I do not believe there is. There is another thread around that shows opinions of this. As I observed in my answer to that thread. I watch two days a year . One from 1979 and the other beginning 1989. Yep, two wedding days. And each year after, that particular day has always been the same. Same temp. same weather, same looking sky. my simple conclusion, is there is no change.

But, we can stop pollution, we can stop undo waste, we can stop plastic usage, those things do effect the earth, and its water. Those things are what humans are doing to harm the world.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
us
The hysteria over climate change is just another method used to take money out of someone’s pocket and put it into someone else’s pocket. The convenient thing about using climate change as a tool is that the dire predictions are for the distant future. I remember way back when “they” predicted that the polar ice caps would be gone by 2020. I also remember the new ice age that was coming. :cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
us
The hysteria over climate change is just another method used to take money out of someone’s pocket and put it into someone else’s pocket. The convenient thing about using climate change as a tool is that the dire predictions are for the distant future. I remember way back when “they” predicted that the polar ice caps would be gone by 2020. I also remember the new ice age that was coming. :cautious:
Yep, totally agree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
us
What's funny about this global warming scare is that some people really get into it and attempt to count every gram of CO2 we emit. It's pathetic.

Here's an article from a Harvard researcher claiming that cycling contributes more to global warming than driving.

Excerpt:

“Biking takes around 50 kcal/km, which is equivalent to .2 MJ/km. A typical car in the US gets 25 mpg, or 9.5L/100 km, which is equivalent to 3.3 MJ/km. The Toyota Prius takes only 5 L/100km, or 1.7 MJ/km. So a typical car takes 17x more energy per kilometer than biking, and a Prius takes 8x more. This is what we expect given how much heavier cars are than bikes.”

“But not all energy use has the same impact on climate,” he wrote. “There’s a range of greenhouse gases that warm the climate at different rates and stay in the atmosphere for different lengths of time.” While this doesn’t matter much for estimating the impact of cars, where over 90% of the emissions are C02, it is very significant for estimating the environmental impact of “fat-burning” activities such as cycling which are ultimately fuelled by agriculture. The agriculture industry is responsible for substantial emissions of N20 and CH4, which have GWP’s around 30 and 300, “meaning we usually count 1 gram of CH4 emissions as equivalent to ~30 grams of CO2 emissions,” Thorpe explained.

Based on that methodology, Thorpe determined that a cyclist who consumed mostly meat could ultimately be contributing more to climate change than a vegan or vegetarian driving a low-emission vehicle, or in some cases even a typical car.

“So let’s make estimates of the climate impacts of biking and driving, in CO2 equivalents (CO2e). If we look at a typical car in the US, taking 9.5L/100km, we can use the lifecycle emissions from gasoline, ~3.2 kg CO2e/liter, to estimate 300 gCO2e per kilometer of driving. A Prius emits half as much, 150 gCO2e/km. We can do a similar analysis for biking. An ‘average American’ eats 2600 kcal/day and their diet leads to 2.5tCO2e/yr, or 2.6 gCO2e/kcal.http://www.keith.seas.harvard.edu/blog/climate-impacts-of-biking-vs-driving#fi Given that .2 MJ/km requirement for biking, this gives us an impact of 130 gCO2e/km.

This is already really close to the Prius! What about a meat-heavy diet, the Paleo diet? I looked at Paleo meal plans and academic lifecycle GHG estimates for the foods in those meal plans, and estimated the average emissions of a Paleo diet to be 3.8 gCO2e/kcal.[ii] This gives us 190 gCO2e/km, likely higher than the Prius, though the uncertainties in these estimates are large.”

Ask a Question