Clematis prune new growth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I planted a "jackmanii> clematis last fall. The plant is about 12 inches tall and this past week it shot out a few maybe 8 to 10 inch new growth with buds on the tip. should I snip those off so it gets bushy or let them go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would let it do it`s own thing. I hope you planted it deeply and made sure the root was well shaded. Now is a good time to feed it, preferably with well rotted manure. Once you have enjoyed the flowers, the plant should start to make some growth. It will want to climb and not make a bush. ''Jackmanii'' was a good choice - lovely :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ok, thanks. I will let it go and see what it does. Yes, I planted it deeply and I have mulch around the base for shading. It's a hard call for me when to prune and when not to...maybe it has something to do with the fact I am a hairstylist and I always feel the need to trim something. lol. I will take your advice and feed it and can't wait to see the flowers. I will post a picture when it blooms:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This for me has been one of the most vigorous clematis. If the roots are kept cool/shaded and the growth in the sun it can quickly cover its trellis, be multiplied and can have multiple bloom cycles. Enjoy:love:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I myself would nip off the apex of each tendrils and let it bush out. I am trying to weave them around obelisks so that the flowers will be everywhere around the obelisks for me to enjoy, rather than going to the top. This will cover the obelisk and make the plant look robust and happy. Don't force the tendrils too much though as they tend to snap; however, this might not be a bad thing as there will be side-shoots from the nodes where they are snapped.

I also try to layer those clematises that I like. It's an easy process and this is one of the Josephines I got from last year's layering. I love this Josephine as it flowers from now till November here.
SAM_2317.JPG
SAM_2316.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Jackmanii is a late to flower plant, and as with all the others in this group it should be cut right back to a pair of good buds in the first spring after planting (which in this case will be next year)
1619080069126.png
@alp this one is Jackmanii :) Josephine is best left unpruned, if you cut it hard it will probably only flower once more afterwards.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't talking about cutting back. All I said was nipping out the top apex and let the branches bush out and weave the stems/tendrils horizontally around an obelisk.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I wasn't talking about cutting back. All I said was nipping out the top apex and let the branches bush out and weave the stems/tendrils horizontally around an obelisk.
From my experience, this clematis will do well whatever you decide to do to make it fit your location and purpose. I kept mine in a large pot the first year as I decided where to put it. It grew quickly covering a trellis. Just keep it watered. Mine usually has two heavy blooms spring and summer. Hope yours does as well.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Jewell I love Jackmanii and I have one going up my bamboos for more than 10 years. The only gripe I have with this beauty or beau (I think it's a beau! LOL! The colour is almost ecclesiastical, heavenly, real royalty!) is that mine flowers very late. But boy, when it flowers, the colour, size, form and texture make it a class on its own!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jewell I love Jackmanii and I have one going up my bamboos for more than 10 years. The only gripe I have with this beauty or beau (I think it's a beau! LOL! The colour is almost ecclesiastical, heavenly, real royalty!) is that mine flowers very late. But boy, when it flowers, the colour, size, form and texture make it a class on its own!
Guess different locations really make such a difference. Maybe this variety has varied somewhat from country to country? What was really shocking to me was a seedling from it that crossed with a Duchess of Edinburgh. Gardening is so much fun.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
1619126749877.png

My Jackmanii is of this colour, but darker, more violet, usually 4 petals but occasionally 5. I tried to look for the photos I uploaded here, but I have scrolled through so many pages that I don't think I had any finger print left on that finger. Perhaps not exactly the same variety. Funny thing is that when I went through all those pages on my thread, I asked myself: How on earth did I manage to have that many flowers? Thinking about the weather now and the bald patches in my front and back gardens, I am pretty depressed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can't wait to see the flowers. I put a trellis up last week and it is doing it's thing, growing like crazy and attaching to the trellis. it looks nice and healthy!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
View attachment 78743

My Jackmanii is of this colour, but darker, more violet, usually 4 petals but occasionally 5. I tried to look for the photos I uploaded here, but I have scrolled through so many pages that I don't think I had any finger print left on that finger. Perhaps not exactly the same variety. Funny thing is that when I went through all those pages on my thread, I asked myself: How on earth did I manage to have that many flowers? Thinking about the weather now and the bald patches in my front and back gardens, I am pretty depressed.
thanks for trying to find a picture. I love this color. I can't wait to get a flower. I'll post a picture. hopefully you can get to your garden soon

Ask a Question