Clearing two acres of land, by a river, legally (UK) and environmentally responsibly....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone - I have a stretch of land by a large stream that is completely overgrown. The key plants I need to get under control are brambles, nettles and wild garlic. As the stretch of land is next to a water way I would imagine there are rules about what, if any, weed killer to use (I'm in the UK). I'm also worried about destroying a habitat that has been largely untouched for the last 10 years, while wanting to clear some of it so we can use it recreationally. Should I get rid of the nettles or leave them for insects? And the wild garlic? The brambles really have to go, but how do I kill them off without weedkillers? I'm also wondering about planting a hedgerow and some trees - can anyone point me in the right direction for advice, the internet is a large and scary place!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Are you a member of RHS? If so, you could ask them. I'm sure you can remove the brambles. You could plant some moisture loving plants - Astilbes, moisture loving orchids, meconopsis, hydrangeas. ... irises, I so want to live by a stream and wonder if I could buy something next to you. LOL! I mean it. Love a view too.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cut the brambles back to the roots, put epsom salts on them and cover to keep the rain off.

You can cut the nettles back later in the season to provide fresh growth for insects.

Eat the wild garlic :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, a lot of top chefs cook with wild garlic. James Martin adds a lot of BUTTER! LOL!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Contact the EA to check on pesticides permissible close to the river but it sounds like you might need some mechanical help for clearing two acres

Ask a Question