Cleaning my pots

Reaction score
I have the most beautiful pots that I got from a friend of mine but they are covered in residue. I was told that I should not put new plants in those pots being all dirty so my question is what is the best way to clean your pots to get them ready for planting? I have tried soap and water and the white residue does not come off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Fill them with water and soap and leave them for at least 24 hours. After this time it should be easier to get rid of the white residue.
I'd also try dish soap.

Reaction score
I would try putting a vinegar and water solution in them and soaking them overnight as Claudine suggested. Maybe the vinegar will break up the deposits. I've recently discovered the cleaning power of vinegar in the home but hadn't thought of gardening uses. Hmm...

Reaction score
That has happened to me a couple times, but this is what I usually do. Just try to get as much of it off as you can, then just leave it in a sunny place. I don't know the science behind it, but it works. It is a pretty lazy trick, but I think it has something to do with micro-organisms eating away at whatever it is in your pot. GIve it a shot, I read that technique a long time ago online.

Reaction score
A few of the pots are really delicate and she said some had been in her family for years. I tried soaking in dish soap and they just didn’t come clean. I clean everything with vinegar and didn’t even think to try that so I did on one of the smaller ones and the stuff came right off! :) I should post some photos of these beauties. I am almost afraid of using them! Am I supposed to seal them or do I need to do anything to keep the micro-organisms from eating away at them when I put my plants in them?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Try cleaning the pots with vinegar as suggested with a stiff brush. Leave the cleaned pots in the direct sunlight for a few hours to help kill any bugs that maybe still lives inside the pots.

Ask a Question