Citrus sapling

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I have two citrus saplings, both look like the attached picture, they are approx 25 cm high.
I planted the seeds last year and until now they have been rapidly growing, but now they kinda stopped and nothing is happening...
What should I to with them?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Looks healthy enough, are the roots coming out of the bottom of the pot yet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If your plant is the same as in the picture it needs fertilizing. It isn't supposed to have yellowing leaves with green veins. That is a lack of iron or other minerals, but, a lack of minerals won't stop growth but a lack of NPK will. It's hungry, feed it.

Reaction score
If your plant is the same as in the picture it needs fertilizing. It isn't supposed to have yellowing leaves with green veins. That is a lack of iron or other minerals, but, a lack of minerals won't stop growth but a lack of NPK will. It's hungry, feed it.
Thanks for the tip, I will fertilize them! :)

Shouldn't they look a little more "tree-like" by now? Should I prune them, or just let them grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry, that's what 25cm trees look like. Are you in Yellow Knife or Key West? They are greatly influenced by photo period and intensity and should be elongating buds in the axils now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As @treeguy stated. The seedling is barely 10 inches tall. What kind of tree is it? Just feed it and give it time. You've still got at least 6 years before it will fruit anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have said it before but I will repeat it - if you are raising citrus from seed you aren’t going to get edible fruit. As your tree ages it may even develop sharp thorns. Ungrafted citrus can produce beautiful trees but lousy fruit.

Reaction score
I have said it before but I will repeat it - if you are raising citrus from seed you aren’t going to get edible fruit. As your tree ages it may even develop sharp thorns. Ungrafted citrus can produce beautiful trees but lousy fruit.

I know they won't have edible fruit. I'm in the middle of Europe, with continental climate, so even if they were grafted, it would be hard to get them to bear fruit. But I still think the would look nice as plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know they won't have edible fruit. I'm in the middle of Europe, with continental climate, so even if they were grafted, it would be hard to get them to bear fruit. But I still think the would look nice as plants.
You can buy dwarf lemons, limes and kumquats that will bear OK fruit. And others that I don't have personal experience with. The question posed is: Five or six years down the road after you have done all the protecting and growing and TLC, wouldn't you be happier with a useful crop? Or, not.

Ask a Question