Cilantro

Reaction score
I love to use cilantro in my salads, meats, curries and grilled meat. Basically, I love cilantro. I cannot cook without herbs and cilantro is a constant. I have a container that is actually an old plastic water can cut into half with some holes drilled into the bottom. I have filled it with wormy compost, leaf mold and soil and spread a tablespoon of coriander seeds on to it and cover it with another thin layer of soil. A light misting for a few days has my cilantro growing beautifully. I spread out another teaspoon of seeds once I have harvested the bunch. Once in four months I replace the soil. This works for me...like the other herbs I grow, this also grows on my kitchen window sill.
This is why I love to grow herbs. It is easy and takes very little effort.

Jed

Reaction score
This is one of my favourites but here in Australia we call it coriander.
I'm the same and can not cook without a bunch of herbs to add flavour to a meal. Gone are the days when pepper and salt were the only spices used.
In fact thanks for reminding me to re-plant this spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I saved the seeds from my old cilantro plant and started new ones in little paper cups. I just got some local compost and I am going to try and transplant the baby plants tomorrow morning. Growing stuff is so much fun!

Reaction score
@Jed, we call it coriander too here where I live. Glad that you enjoy herbs too like me.. nah the salt and peeper is too bland and does nothave too much variation to it.
@ ChanellG Did you say paper cups? Don't they get soggy and break open? I agree growing stuff is so much fun.. but it is also so much more healthy. This is the best part about growing your own food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
No Maddie, the cups are still intact after several weeks. If I had just one plant per cup I would simply plant them in the cup as the paper would eventually break down in the soil. I also have some things growing in those compostable paper containers you get at the salad bar at Whole Foods. I was worried about how they would hold up to the moisture but they have worked out really well also.

Reaction score
Do you have any issues with smell and/or fruit flies with growing your cilantro indoors? I am a huge cilantro fan too, and really miss the fresh taste during the winter months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't remember having an issue with my last cilantro plant inside. I'll have to keep an eye out this time around and see what happens. I am thinking of keeping one or two plants inside and putting the rest outdoors.

Reaction score
Do you have any issues with smell and/or fruit flies with growing your cilantro indoors? I am a huge cilantro fan too, and really miss the fresh taste during the winter months.
Jessamom , I have never had issues with smell or fruit flies with any of my plants. I have had some issues with mold when I used green tea leaves directly in my containers. As long as the soil is well drained and you don't over water your plants will be healthy and free of pests. You may have to ensure that there is good light (artificial or natural) when you plant them indoors.

Reaction score
I am growing cilantro in my recycled hydroponics container in the window in my bedroom. I moved it to the table in the living room by the door and half the plants withered from the cold or lack of sun. I am going to see it if bounces back, if not I will resow.

Reaction score
I really love cilantro too. I usually grow mine indoors and have never had a problem with any fruit flies or smells. I set the pot on the window sill in my kitchen, where it gets plenty of sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also love cilantro and grow them in a pot. I didn't realize that they are perennial until they started to come back. At the end of the season, I harvest the seeds and just spread them in the same pot.

I fertilize the soil with used coffee ground, mashed up egg shells, and banana peels. They seem to love these mix, and best of all, I didn't cost me money to buy fertilizers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love cilantro. It is one of my favorite herbs. I not only love the way it tastes but love the way it makes my kitchen smell. However, I think it is one of the hardest herbs to grow. I can only get mine to last about a week before it dries out and dies on me. I water it just as much as I water my basil. I don’t know what I am doing wrong! Does it require a lot or a little sunlight?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I know it's weird, but the truth is that I've never tried growing cilantro and I honestly don't know what it smells like;) Reading this thread makes me want to go to the store right now and buy a cilantro plant. I definitely need it in my kitchen:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know it's weird, but the truth is that I've never tried growing cilantro and I honestly don't know what it smells like;) Reading this thread makes me want to go to the store right now and buy a cilantro plant. I definitely need it in my kitchen:)
I absolutely love cilantro! It tastes and smells so fresh. I love Mexican food so its great to put in homemade guacamole and salsa. However, its such a pain to grow. I don’t know anyone of my friend who were able to keep it alive longer than a few weeks. It’s not like basil that you can freeze or dry out the leaves, I personally think they don’t taste the same if they aren’t fresh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I absolutely love cilantro! It tastes and smells so fresh. I love Mexican food so its great to put in homemade guacamole and salsa. However, its such a pain to grow. I don’t know anyone of my friend who were able to keep it alive longer than a few weeks. It’s not like basil that you can freeze or dry out the leaves, I personally think they don’t taste the same if they aren’t fresh.
I've never eaten Mexican food, but I bet it's tasty:) I want to make guacamole.
It's a pity cilantro isn't easy to grow, but I hope I'll manage to keep it alive for at least a few weeks. It's worth a try:)

Ask a Question