Cilantro straight to seed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I had just planned my cilantro seeds and all were growing well but within a month they shot up and started flowering. Anyone else experienced this? I’m wondering why it went straight to flowering. Was it maybe too hot? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I had just planned my cilantro seeds and all were growing well but within a month they shot up and started flowering. Anyone else experienced this? I’m wondering why it went straight to flowering. Was it maybe too hot? Thanks!
Any temperature above about 85F will cause rapid bolting. Cilantro is a fall/winter crop in S. Calif.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I've heard of culantro as an alternate but have not played with it. Would this actually be an alternate for my tacos and salsa?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a hot dry summer so far and the same is happening to my chard. Farmers round here have got in their (poor) wheat harvest a month early, I think it is a general reaction of plants, "Quick, it's too hot, we are going to die, make some seeds."

The way the weather is going it doesn't bode well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've heard of culantro as an alternate but have not played with it. Would this actually be an alternate for my tacos and salsa?

Has anyone out there ever tried this? Personally, I have never even heard of it or tried it and I live in Taco Land. Or maybe I have and just didn't know it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes, the heat makes them bolt. All you can do is shade them and keep them well watered, or plant later when it cools down, as long as you have enough time before winter. You can try pinching them out but it's a temporary fix. I eventually decided to harvest and dry them as soon as they show signs of bolting and use for dried herbs, then replant. In fact, you can plant them on a staggered schedule like radishes too, a little at a time. I you let them go to seed, you can have fresh coriander seeds too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great idea! Thanks!
Yes, the heat makes them bolt. All you can do is shade them and keep them well watered, or plant later when it cools down, as long as you have enough time before winter. You can try pinching them out but it's a temporary fix. I eventually decided to harvest and dry them as soon as they show signs of bolting and use for dried herbs, then replant. In fact, you can plant them on a staggered schedule like radishes too, a little at a time. I you let them go to seed, you can have fresh coriander seeds too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Solar_Cycle_25_prediction_and_progression.png

It has been getting hotter earlier not just because increased solar activity or of the calendar shift, additionally I have read the Tonga eruption managed to increase humidity in the mesosphere (above stratosphere) by about 10 percent and that is also supposed to warm us a bit for a few years.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Cilantro does not like hot weather. Plant seeds in the garden 6 weeks before last frost. You will have good plants until it gets hot then they go to seed. Plant 75 seeds in 2 gallon pots to keep under a shade tree after temperatures get 80°f and hotter. Cilantro under a shade tree will last a few weeks longer than cilantro in full sun in hot weather.

You can germinate more seeds in pots inside the refrigerator. Cilantro seeds will not often germinate it hot weather.

Buy a laser thermometer you will see plant leaves in full sun are often 25 to 30 degrees hotter than the air temperature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love cilantro! I planted and yes, it definitely doesn't like the heat. It did great in early spring .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cilantro is very sensitive to warm temperatures 80°f plants make seeds if plants are located in full sun. If cilantro is in pots move them to full shade in warm weather. My laser thermometer show leaves are 25° to 30°f hotter than the air temperature. I start 50 to 75 seeds in 2 gallon pots about every 3 weeks but once it gets too hot seeds will not germinate. You can germinate seeds in pots in the refrigerator in hot weather. Cilantro is harder to grow in summer than winter. Temperature needs to drop to about 5°f in winter to kill cilantro. Seeds germinate good all winter. When, tomatoes, onions, garlic, are ripe in my garden its hard to make salsa with dead cilantro. I can usually manage to keep some cilantro alive until late July 100°f in full shade is too hot for cilantro.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yup, that happens to me enough that I stopped trying to even grow it.
That never happened to me. But, find you good spot with plenty of cool wind of possible. It won't bolt early if you find a good spot. You can grow cilantro I can help you anytime. Get half sun an shade to keep it cool from bolting.
20230323_174340.jpg
20230323_174343.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States

Yes. Likely too warm. Growing it in partial shade can help delay bolting.

Ask a Question