Christmas cactus is on schedule!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I've had Christmas cacti before, and each one bloomed on any holiday but Christmas. This year my cactus hit it right. For the life of me, I can't figure out what I did correctly!
Nativities with Christmas cactus.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Christmas cacti I have is not growing, it is not dying just staying the same. Do I need to move it to a place where it will get less sunlight and not water it as often to get it to start to grow? I have had the plant a year and it looks about the same size as it did when I got it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Chuck, I think that watering it less may have helped. It is in the same place as always, but I did let it dry out more. I tend to "fuss" over plants, and probably was keeping it too moist.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, I think that watering it less may have helped. It is in the same place as always, but I did let it dry out more. I tend to "fuss" over plants, and probably was keeping it too moist.
My mother grew these things and from what I remember she would move them from direct sunlight into a shaded place and not water them or at least reduce the water so as to stress them and make them bloom. I just don't know the timeline as to when she did this but she grew these plants to sell and they always started blooming when the holidays started. I never paid much attention to her flower business as I worked with dad and grand dad exclusively on the vegetable side of things

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The Christmas cacti I have is not growing, it is not dying just staying the same. Do I need to move it to a place where it will get less sunlight and not water it as often to get it to start to grow? I have had the plant a year and it looks about the same size as it did when I got it.
What type of medium and container is it planted in?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maybe your plant needed some time to figure out when Christmas is, haha:D It looks really lovely, I like this shade of red:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I just bought a new Christmas cactus this year, I had one for years that my son got for me that just seemed to die back, it was about 15 years old. I had taken quite a few cuttings over the years.

Mine was flowering when I got it right around Thanksgiving, I got a few flowers still. Do you have an opinion on whether these cactus need a cool period? i always kept mine in full light but moved it nearer the window where it was cooler for a few months a year. My flowers were also very red this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just bought a new Christmas cactus this year, I had one for years that my son got for me that just seemed to die back, it was about 15 years old. I had taken quite a few cuttings over the years.

Mine was flowering when I got it right around Thanksgiving, I got a few flowers still. Do you have an opinion on whether these cactus need a cool period? i always kept mine in full light but moved it nearer the window where it was cooler for a few months a year. My flowers were also very red this year.
I don't think temp has much to do with blooming. Light intensity and length of light has the most to do with it I think, plus a restriction of water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Yesterday I went into Rite Aid. There were Christmas cactus plants for sale.
Some had pink flowers. Others had white flowers. I did not know that Christmas cactus come in white.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I went into Rite Aid. There were Christmas cactus plants for sale.
Some had pink flowers. Others had white flowers. I did not know that Christmas cactus come in white.

I've got one just about to flower Louis, think they're going to be pink though.

Ask a Question