Christmas Cactus Freeze

Reaction score
Country
United States
This Christmas cactus is one tough one (I named her Betty White) 3 years ago she was left in the back of a car in the south that nearly killed her. She recovered, was growing great, even survived getting eaten by cats (twice).

2 weeks ago I left her in a car in -10 degree temperatures for about 6 hours. Her discs are wilted and droopy. I kept her to her normal watering schedule of once a week.

Where do I go from here? Do I keep the discs on and just continue as normal? Do I feed her vitamins/miracle grow? My thoughts are to just peel off the discs down the lowest one that looks healthy and continue to water once a week.

I have no clue how to proceed here so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Fred. Last year we had a freeze in Florida and our Christmas Cactus was left outside. It got frost bit and looked like cooked spinich. I didn't cut anything off and just let it heal itself. The lobes that were too burnt eventually fell off. Now it is recouping and actually has a few flowers forming. I would just leave it alone for now and let the plant heal itself.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I also left my Christmas Cactus outside and it was cold, but not that cold. No snow any way, but it actually threw up lovely flowers later in the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Mine is just beginning to bloom :) Rarely frost here and I haven't seen it affected. We won't have a white christmas, but it looks like we will have a christmas cactus flower christmas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum.

My Aunty gave me this cactus which is a part of her giant plant. It is my first go at growing one of these. Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Here's my new baby
20171204_141322.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I don't even know where mine has gone. I have so many indoor and outdoor plants! Mine flowered this year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It might be a strange thought but I have this theory that neglect brings out flowers! The only time mine ever flowered was the summer after I put it on the front porch and forgot about it. I don't think I watered it more than twice all summer. Not the same as frost/freezing but reading the comments made me think of mine.

Has it survived?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I agree. Mine was out in the heat, rain and open to elements and suddenly it flowered. I brought it in and I haven't seen any new growth, let alone flowers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree. Mine was out in the heat, rain and open to elements and suddenly it flowered. I brought it in and I haven't seen any new growth, let alone flowers.
I reported mine a month or so ago, maybe in January and now it has two flowers coming! It's a very small plant so I'm happy with the two buds. I can't wait till they open :D

Ask a Question