Choosing a New Car

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
a job I do not like doing. I usually read consumer reports and have a very short list . then I go looking for a 2nd handed one. Current car now have it over 10 years, got 2nd handed, only 10Thousand miles on it. Good deal. A toyota been lasting good all this time, just routine service.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
a job I do not like doing. I usually read consumer reports and have a very short list . then I go looking for a 2nd handed one. Current car now have it over 10 years, got 2nd handed, only 10Thousand miles on it. Good deal. A toyota been lasting good all this time, just routine service.

My last three cars have been new Hondas. I had a Civic LSI for three years then traded it in for a CRV, I had that seven years then traded that in for the one I've had for coming up to 18 years. I don't do a lot of miles, so there's only 63,000 miles on the clock. Everything on it works. The fuel economy is rubbish, but then as I don't go far, I usually only need to fill it up once a month.

I was behind an immaculate looking 25 year-old Honda Legend the other day, so maybe I'll keep this a bit longer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Fiat 500, lovely. Clarkson did a top gear small car show once, "There are lots of them, nissan, honda etc. then there is the Fiat 500 in a class of its own."
I don't know if it is somewhere on the web, but they got a shot of him on a Belgrave square and every car in the square is a Fiat 500.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Fiat 500, lovely. Clarkson did a top gear small car show once, "There are lots of them, nissan, honda etc. then there is the Fiat 500 in a class of its own."
I don't know if it is somewhere on the web, but they got a shot of him on a Belgrave square and every car in the square is a Fiat 500.

I'm sure they are lot better these days.

Around 35 years ago, I was in conversation with a couple friends in a pub. One mentioned he'd just bought a car for his wife, a Fiat 500 which he said had a very low mileage. The other friend, who worked for a car main agents, said; "They all have, cos no one keeps them for long!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
One might garner knowledge from a parts department. For example, 'which brand do you sell the most parts for, kind sir"?

Car Parts suppliers are not the same as they were in my youth.
At the age of seventeen in 1958, I had a 1937 Austin Seven Ruby convertible. This developed a noise from the dynamo. An uncle who actually was an engineer for *Bradbury Wilkinsons on the Kingston bypass, diagnosed it as a worn bearing. So I went to the nearest Lucus motor parts store and asked the question, "Have you a bearing for the dynamo of a 1937 Austin Seven?"

"Just a moment sir."
He was back within a couple of minutes with it.
"That will be a shilling sir."
My uncle fitted it on the following day.

Now I'd have to buy a new dynamo.

Triva.

*Bradbury Wilkinsons. Printers.

My uncle had keys for the works, as he was always on call for any emergency. He gave me a tour of the place one Sunday when it was closed.
There were stacks of bank notes for all sorts of different countries, plus some exotic looking stamps and there was even a pallet of Road Fund Licences.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
as far as cars go we have a Nissan (age 6 years) my Toyota (12 years) a Ford dually (15 years) a Ford 150 (2 years old) bought to tow the RV, RV and 150 down in Gulfport, MIss. at nephews house . a Ford Exibition (spelling) One year old---it pulls the trailer that Sasha rides in ---she is a 1964 show car. A Nova hatch back race car 1969. A 1957 cadillac (needs work---in side garage ) The beginnings of a Willie coop. Yes, we have group auto insurance rate. I will try to up load the pick of the Ford Exibition with the trailer ---took the shot in the snow waiting outside at a hotel when showing up in Syracuse, NY last year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
20220327_193834.jpg

Our tow car and trailer. Sasha is inside. She is what they call " a Trailer Queen" .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My last three cars have been new Hondas. I had a Civic LSI for three years then traded it in for a CRV, I had that seven years then traded that in for the one I've had for coming up to 18 years. I don't do a lot of miles, so there's only 63,000 miles on the clock. Everything on it works. The fuel economy is rubbish, but then as I don't go far, I usually only need to fill it up once a month.

I was behind an immaculate looking 25 year-old Honda Legend the other day, so maybe I'll keep this a bit longer.
I have seen a variety of chinese imports that are fun. Maybe electric?
Screenshot_20230113-085240.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And here I am with my 92 Dodge truck and 69 Plymouth.

I'm not a big fan of new cars, mainly too much technology that distracts from, you know, driving. Touch screens are awful, I like tactile controls. Buttons, levers and knobs that can be distinguished and operated without looking.

Ask a Question