Chipper blade sharpening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My FIL gifted me a chipper when he moved from next door I what I believe was an effort to see if there was any hope of marrying off his youngest daughter who is the head of the foriegn languages department at Gardener Webb University. If you speak fluent french, russian, spanish or ride a harley, please contact me.

Bob would clean up his yard with the chipper. At the time, I had no idea how valuable ramial wood chips could be. I have learned more as I grew older.
20180205_135949.jpg

The chipper has been operational for a long time. This has led me to maintenance, and I thought I would share a few points about a very violent piece of kit.

The first is that since some angle was established for the feed shute, it follows an angle would be established for the blade when you sharpen it. Try real hard to keep this angle. I use a sanding disk with any easy extension, on my rig it is 45 degrees and here his how I got there today.
20180205_144126.jpg

After that, the key thing is the gap between the spinning blade and the feed chute end, which may or may not be an anvil. At the end, these machines are essentially a pair of scissors, and the exceptionally tight tolerance between the anvil and the shearing blade make them perform. Check this tolerance. The anvils wear down for example. The reason I mention this is that I just removed a machinists spacer due to wear. This made me sad because my FIL is not here anymore and its a passage, wear and tear thing. Now my machine acts 10 years younger. I hope the main bearings hold up to the youthful effervesence.

And Bob..if you read electomagnetic particles.. I love you and you were a brilliant mechanic.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My FIL gifted me a chipper when he moved from next door I what I believe was an effort to see if there was any hope of marrying off his youngest daughter who is the head of the foriegn languages department at Gardener Webb University. If you speak fluent french, russian, spanish or ride a harley, please contact me.

:eek::LOL::D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
See the gas tank on top of the chipper? Bob made it fuel injected for easier starting! Plus it runs longer before refueling.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Would like to adopt him. Can't help with the daughter though!:eek::D

Ask a Question