Chipmunk Trouble

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Any advice on how to keep chipmunks away? I'm using 3' chicken wire around a potted veggie plant right now, and it does work! But next year, I'll be planting straight into the garden again, and those pests sure are a chore. I'm thinking about using chicken wire again, and maybe running more chicken wire as a sort of frame flat on the ground under the fence? Not sure how to attempt it this time. Thanks~

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We don't have chipmonks in Texas but we do have their cousins, squirrels. I think it would be easier to dig a shallow ditch where the wire will be and slightly bury it rather than try to concoct something and it would be cheaper too.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What about a cat (or two) for patrolling the perimeter of the fence? :) I know that chipmunks live in Ohio, but I have never seen one in our yard! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We don't have chipmonks in Texas but we do have their cousins, squirrels. I think it would be easier to dig a shallow ditch where the wire will be and slightly bury it rather than try to concoct something and it would be cheaper too.

Thanks, Chuck. Yeah, I'm thinking of framing the garden area, but you're probably right: straight down might work just as well as flat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
07D5EF60-D6AD-406F-B82D-9D444576C0AC.jpeg

This is Spike. He has developed quite a taste for squirrels and chipmunks. He also keeps the raccoons and deer at bay.

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice on how to keep chipmunks away? I'm using 3' chicken wire around a potted veggie plant right now, and it does work! But next year, I'll be planting straight into the garden again, and those pests sure are a chore. I'm thinking about using chicken wire again, and maybe running more chicken wire as a sort of frame flat on the ground under the fence? Not sure how to attempt it this time. Thanks~
Hi Maggie you may find this link help regarding Chipmunks as they're proper destroyers of wood besides :mad:

http://wildlifeanimalcontrol.com/chipmunks.html

Ask a Question