Chinese vegetables

Reaction score
No, but it would save me some money on my produce shopping if I did, because I like to make Asian food. Is it hard to grow Bok Choy?

Reaction score
No, but it would save me some money on my produce shopping if I did, because I like to make Asian food. Is it hard to grow Bok Choy?
Not at all..The hardest part is actually keeping the bugs away, but my solution for that is Molasses to a 1L pressure pack container add 20-40ML of Molasses then fill with water, bugs don't seem to like this and it's cheap totally non-toxic being sugar processing byproduct.

Reaction score
I grew bok choy or however you spell it from a scrap it seemed to grow and then died back. I have made three attempts so far. this is one of my favorite Chinese vegetables. Do you have any tips for me?

Reaction score
I grew bok choy or however you spell it from a scrap it seemed to grow and then died back. I have made three attempts so far. this is one of my favorite Chinese vegetables. Do you have any tips for me?
How do you mean from scrap, do you mean from a cutting? If so that never works for Chinese vegetables, for me anyway you need to grow it from seed, I also find they love seaweed extract like Maxicrop or Seasol. But it grows like crazy in my Aquaponics system with little to no intervention.

Reaction score
Nice.. Just bear in mind getting used to the differences in Hydroponics takes time to get used to, don't expect stellar results first time out.
There are plenty of good websites out there to read up on it too.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if they sell the seeds where you would normally buy other seeds, or do you know if they sell the buds that have already been stated?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK they're becoming more and more popular.
I grow them year round, pak choi (as we call them) mizuna, tatsoi, komatsuna (Japanese) giant red mustard.

In the summer I sometimes also grow chinese lettuce.

I grow them all from seed, and I find them all reliable.

Reaction score
Bok choy is also called Chinese cabbage. This Chinese vegetable is a cool weather vegetable. They do not do well during the heat of summer and, therefore, they do best in the spring and fall.

Reaction score
I haven't tried that, but sounds like an interesting challenge to try. Do you find them easier or more difficult to grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
@headfullofbees

This is my first attempt at growing pak choy. I got seeds for an extra-dwarf kind, and they're ready when they're two inches tall. They're not that tall yet, and I saw this one yesterday and it seems to have seeds already? Is that what it is?

007.JPG

Reaction score
I don't but this is something I'll certainly try down the road. It would be nice to grow at home one day especially for those times when I want to make homemade Chinese food.

Reaction score
Not at all..The hardest part is actually keeping the bugs away, but my solution for that is Molasses to a 1L pressure pack container add 20-40ML of Molasses then fill with water, bugs don't seem to like this and it's cheap totally non-toxic being sugar processing byproduct.
Bugs also don't like garlic. If you grow garlic along side your Chinese vegetables this would ward off insect attacks. I'll have to give the molasses suggestion a try.

Ask a Question