Chilli plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Ireland
So I have some store bought plants and some I started from seed (various varieties). They all live in a green house (it's a little too cold here in ireland).

The store bought plants are just beginning to produce chillies and the ones I started from seed range anywhere from a foot high just beginning to produce flowers right down to about 4 inches high.

So the problem I'm having is that the smaller ones have just stopped growing. The store bought ones producing chillis are in 14 litre pots. The smaller ones not growing are in 21cm pots and the roots arent coming out the bottom yet and the size of the pot dwarfs the size of the plant but in the past month they haven't grown. They remain at about 4 inches high. They were transplanted about 2 weeks ago from 15cm pots as I was thinking maybe they're constricted for space to grow. But still no growth.

They're all watered the exact same way. All kept in the greenhouse. All use the same compost - growise multi purpose.

How can I get the smaller ones to grow again? And why is there such a difference between the size of the chilli I started from seed? As an example I have 2 solero chilli plants growing. One is about a good high and the other is about 5 or 6 inches high. Why such a difference between them if they're looked after the same way?

Keep in mind this season is the first time I've ever put my hands into compost.

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A couple of thoughts. The store bought plants more than likely have time release fertilizer on them. Plus, the plants you bought and the seeds you planted are maybe different varieties? That might account for the difference in growth patterns.

Ask a Question