Chili Pepper Flakes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
How are they made?

I am tired of the store-bought ones, and I want to try making my own batch. I was wondering if you, guys, can teach me or give me tips. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How are they made?

I am tired of the store-bought ones, and I want to try making my own batch. I was wondering if you, guys, can teach me or give me tips. Thanks!
Get a bunch of RIPE peppers
Get a good sized sewing needle
Get a length of dental floss or strong thread and thread thru the fat end of the pepper, hang in dry place until completely dried
Crumble with your fingers
Don't rub your eyes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Get a bunch of RIPE peppers
Get a good sized sewing needle
Get a length of dental floss or strong thread and thread thru the fat end of the pepper, hang in dry place until completely dried
Crumble with your fingers
Don't rub your eyes

Ohhh. I thought they would have to go through a vegetable dehydrator again which I still don't have yet. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ohhh. I thought they would have to go through a vegetable dehydrator again which I still don't have yet. Thanks!
Where you live it is very humid so you will have to keep alert for mold. Usually if you can keep a steady air flow, like from a fan, you won't have a problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds like an easy thing to do:)
My boyfriend's mother dries her chili peppers in the kitchen, because it's really warm there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That sounds extremely easy and I am going to give it a try. Should they be hung in a dry warm spot? I think my kitchen would be the best place in the house if that is the case. How long does it usually take for the peppers to dry out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That sounds extremely easy and I am going to give it a try. Should they be hung in a dry warm spot? I think my kitchen would be the best place in the house if that is the case. How long does it usually take for the peppers to dry out?
How long it takes depends on the type of pepper. A thick walled pepper will take a lot longer than a thin walled pepper like a cayenne which most of the pepper flakes and powders are. A warm dry spot like a kitchen window is perfect. I only dry cayennes, petins and pequines. What I do is start stringing them as they ripen and at the end of the growing season, I suppose it takes about a month to dry enough but I have never bothered to actually time how long it takes. You can tell when they are ready when you squeeze it and it breaks into little pieces. It will surprise you as to how many peppers it takes to fill up one of those 3 1/2 oz spice bottles you get at the grocery store

Reaction score
I make my own by just getting the dry version of my preferred chilies and just use a food processor. As simple as that. If you don't have access to chilies that already dry, then you can try drying your own. Isn't as hard as most people think :)

Reaction score
How are they made?

Exactly as Chuck stated above :) I have done this several times and the fresh ones are much better. Much hotter as well, so be careful when using them in your recipes! Don't rub your eyes and make sure you use gloves if all possible. The first time I did this I didn't, and even though I washed my hands several times after I still had a hard time getting the "hot" off.

Yikes!!! Have fun!!!

Danyel :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Exactly as Chuck stated above :) I have done this several times and the fresh ones are much better. Much hotter as well, so be careful when using them in your recipes! Don't rub your eyes and make sure you use gloves if all possible. The first time I did this I didn't, and even though I washed my hands several times after I still had a hard time getting the "hot" off.

Yikes!!! Have fun!!!

Danyel :)

Thanks for the tip! I know how chili can make your hands feel hot. We make this dish called dynamite which involves removing the seeds from fresh chili. The first time I did it, I didn't wear gloves. It's safe to say that I regret that decision until now. :p

Ask a Question