Chickens Chickens and even MORE Chickens

Reaction score
I have 15 chickens who love to wander around my yard and eat bugs and of course.....poop......We have never had greener grass until these ladies started wandering around. I also clean their coop and pour everything in a giant pile on my garden before its planted of course and the chickens go crazy and will spread that out for me and dig it. They are amazing gardeners.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not got any at the moment. Last one was killed by a Fox, but i've had lots in the past.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It must be fun to have so many chickens! I've never had any, but I know that my grandmother had had a few before I was born. Chickens are cute! I heard that they like following their owners like dogs. Is it true?:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They do if they think you've got food :D One of mine used to jump up and pinch pasties out of my hands, and help itself to my tea :D

Reaction score
If you have food they will be your new best friend forever, or at least until the food runs out. They have amazing appetites and do have a stunning range of taste for different things. Chicken poop does do wonders in a garden all though I am partial to goat poo myself.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I used to catch spiders in an old cigarette packet before feeding them to the chicken, mrs used to wonder why the chicken would get excited every time she reached for a cigarette :D

Reaction score
My chickens will follow me everywhere and come running from all parts if they hear our gate. It is just for food I'm sure, but I like to think that they really do love me

Reaction score
You are so fortunate! I miss our chickens so very much. We had a lasagna garden one year and the chicken coop contributed most of the pilings for the garden. Our chickens were more than happy to help scatter the goodies for us too.

We keep talking about getting more chickens but it has not happened yet.

Reaction score
It must be fun to have so many chickens! I've never had any, but I know that my grandmother had had a few before I was born. Chickens are cute! I heard that they like following their owners like dogs. Is it true?:)
I think chickens are so cute. In my last apartment, the family in the house down the street had a couple of chickens that would let me pick them up like little dogs.
They were used to being handled by people, so they would let people pick them up and carry them around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think chickens are so cute. In my last apartment, the family in the house down the street had a couple of chickens that would let me pick them up like little dogs.
They were used to being handled by people, so they would let people pick them up and carry them around.
It's so cute! I would love to pet a chicken, they always seem so fluffy and friendly. I especially love baby chickens, they're the most adorable little things!:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's so cute! I would love to pet a chicken, they always seem so fluffy and friendly. I especially love baby chickens, they're the most adorable little things!:)

This is going back a few years now :)

Reaction score
We hope to have chickens by next year!
I can't wait! I had no idea that they were good for gardens also!
We just wanted them for eggs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is going back a few years now :)

What a lovely picture:) Do these children keep chickens as pets?:) I would love to do this too, but my little dog is very hostile towards other animals. He always barks at birds and tries to catch them, if they dare to land in our garden:ninja: I'm glad they're much faster than him!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They used too, they're all grown up now :(

Some Chickens will see a dog off, our cat tried to have a pop at the Guinea Fowl on the farm next to us, they soon saw him off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Both children and animals grow so fast. My little Yorkie is 7 years old already. I can't believe it. To me, he's still a puppy:love:. But believe me, he would attack a chicken without any hesitation, he is very brave and not friendly at all:p. He wouldn't let me keep any animals other than him:(

Ask a Question