Chia seeds how to grow them?? help plz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all! im vegetarian and i love my chia seeds.. Can you please tell me which is the easy way to gro a chia seed plant that can give me chias seeds? Also i have seen a few people do chia seeds sprouts do you eat that?? what is the best way for that as well??

Thanks for all the help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hello ilmg1! I am a vegetarian as well and also consume a fair share of chia seeds. There are different varieties of chia in the same way there are different varieties of roses. There is Tarahumara Chia (Salvia tilifolia) seeds that are native to Mexico, but the seeds you buy at the market are probably not Tarahumara Chia...not to worry. The man i purchase my chia seeds from thinks they are "Black chia", but he does not really know i think. At any rate, as an experiment, i tossed some store bought chia seeds in a pot with decent soil and in two days the pot was completely full of tiny little plants. Of course i am in tropical Mexico and you are in Canada (i'm not sure where). Ontario has a significantly different climate than Vancouver Island, for example. So you might try an indoor experiment by tossing some of your store bought seeds on soil in a pot to see what happens. I don't know if they will be as enthusiastic to grow as they do here, but i think you will get some plants you can grow outside in summer, inside in winter. The problem is chia seeds are tiny as you know and you would probably need dozens if not hundreds of plants to add up to a pound or half kilo of seeds...unless you eat one seed per day:)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
image.jpeg
This is the chia seeds I use !!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello ilmg1! I am a vegetarian as well and also consume a fair share of chia seeds. There are different varieties of chia in the same way there are different varieties of roses. There is Tarahumara Chia (Salvia tilifolia) seeds that are native to Mexico, but the seeds you buy at the market are probably not Tarahumara Chia...not to worry. The man i purchase my chia seeds from thinks they are "Black chia", but he does not really know i think. At any rate, as an experiment, i tossed some store bought chia seeds in a pot with decent soil and in two days the pot was completely full of tiny little plants. Of course i am in tropical Mexico and you are in Canada (i'm not sure where). Ontario has a significantly different climate than Vancouver Island, for example. So you might try an indoor experiment by tossing some of your store bought seeds on soil in a pot to see what happens. I don't know if they will be as enthusiastic to grow as they do here, but i think you will get some plants you can grow outside in summer, inside in winter. The problem is chia seeds are tiny as you know and you would probably need dozens if not hundreds of plants to add up to a pound or half kilo of seeds...unless you eat one seed per day:)
Thanks sooo much! I seems a few people put them in Napkins!! Didn't know which method is good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Chia seeds are so small to put in a soggy napkin...unless there are some big ones out there that i don't know about. Okay, so you have black chia, the same that i purchase here. And there are also white chia seeds? Do you know if the nutritional value is the same or significantly different?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Chia seeds are so small to put in a soggy napkin...unless there are some big ones out there that i don't know about. Okay, so you have black chia, the same that i purchase here. And there are also white chia seeds? Do you know if the nutritional value is the same or significantly different?

Ya they have white as well I do think it's the same

Ask a Question