Chia Plants, Cat Grass?

Reaction score
I keep seeing these Chia plant commercials on tv lately. There is always a slew of them showing around the Christmas holiday for that added extra sale. Now they have come out with something called Cat Grass. Now this is the first time I have ever heard of Cat Grass. I guess the idea of the Cat Grass is to keep the cat away from your other plants indoors. Has anyone ever heard of this Cat Grass and does it work to keep the kitties away from the rest of the indoor plants? Is it anything like Catnip or am I looking in the wrong direction?

Just curious is all.

Reaction score
I believe it is just a mixture of wheat grass and oat grass. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It is safe for pets and if you have iguanas or a tortoise, they can eat it. I have had a couple of the Chia planters and they grow well. Sadly, I could not keep them alive for an extended amount of time!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The ad just says nutritious grass for your pet. Which leaves you open to wonder just what is the grass that you are feeding your pet. I have often wondered what type of plant was grown on those Chia pots. I have yet to purchase one, maybe next year since they only seem to come out around this time of year.

Reaction score
I believe it is just a mixture of wheat grass and oat grass. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It is safe for pets and if you have iguanas or a tortoise, they can eat it. I have had a couple of the Chia planters and they grow well. Sadly, I could not keep them alive for an extended amount of time!

Wow if that is the case it seems to be a bit of a rip off to me. Those Chia plants are not exactly cheap. So I guess its not so much that the chia cat grass will keep your cat way from your other plants it is just safe for your cats to eat this plant.

The ad just says nutritious grass for your pet. Which leaves you open to wonder just what is the grass that you are feeding your pet. I have often wondered what type of plant was grown on those Chia pots. I have yet to purchase one, maybe next year since they only seem to come out around this time of year.

Yes those chia pots are notorious for the holidays. I think I will give the chia cat grass a pass. If @Mariam is right its just wheat and oat grass. I thought it was going to be something wonderful that would keep your cat away from other house plants. I guess its just the fact that it is safe for your cats.

LOL Ok thank you for the question answered.

Reaction score
I don't know much about Chia Grass and have only seen it advertised, but would think that it is more expensive than buying normal cat grass, which is cheap.

As cats eat grass not just for nutritional reasons but also when they want to cleanse their systems because they are feeling under the weather. Its always a very good idea to give your cat or cats their very own grass patch, especially as if you don't, they will go in search of it anyway and could land up eating grass that has had chemicals or some other toxic substance sprayed on it.

If you have an indoor cat it is a very good idea to have some cat grass available for it to chew on and in some cases having it around, will help stop them from eating your plants, especially as that is not something you want them to do, just in case they take a liking to a plant that you didn't realize was toxic to cats. However as cats are picky creatures you may have to try a few different varieties of grass before you find the one that your cat likes the best :D if you have more than one cat it is often a good idea to plant a grass mix, that way - they all have their different preferences catered for.

Catnip is a totally different thing entirely especially as it is not a grass but belongs to the mint family, but to cats - catnip is regarded as a recreational drug - as it has a euphoric effect similar to that of marijuana and you will often see cats pawing at it, stroking it or even drooling at the sight of it :D

I would say that as Chia Grass is just cat grass in a cute planter and that it would probably make a great present for someone who had cats, but would not be the best option for buying on a regular basis as it would make keeping your cats supplied with cat grass, much more expensive than it needs to be.

Reaction score
@gata montes Yes I am giving the chia cat grass a pass. It is just overpriced grass in a cut container. I have never seen catnip. I know that they make the catnip toys that cats love. I wonder if a can can have too much catnip? Have you actually ever planted catnip before? I will do some research on this plant today. I need to find out more info on it. Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Shellyann36, - Yes cat nip toys are extremely popular and much sought by cats, but as cats prefer the real thing and love having a catnip plant all of their own - so that they can party any time they want to :D most cat owners like to provide them with one.

Catnip is perfectly safe for cats and although they may sometimes overindulge it doesn't do them any harm.

Catnip is very easy to grow as it belongs to the mint family, so is grown in just the same way as the culinary herb and looks like this

funny catnip plant.jpg

and this is what cats think of it

funny catnip-95447725513.jpeg

funny catnipcolors.jpg

Reaction score
:ROFLMAO::D Oh gosh thank you for the laugh this morning! I am so happy to see those last two pictures. How funny.

It looks alot like mint! I will have to keep my eye out for some of it. I wonder if it would be safe for a kitten or should cats not be exposed until they are older?

Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Shellyann36,- so glad to hear the pictures gave you a good laugh - think they're great - would have loved to have posted more but for some reason they didn't want to be uploaded :D

Yes its perfectly safe for kittens to have catnip, although I have heard that some don't start taking an interest in it until they are around 3 - 6 months old - do you ask because you have a kitty ?

I think you can buy catnip as a plant in many places but do know that it is very easily grown from seed, which is the way that I grow it - especially as I have to keep replacing it because the cats seem to prefer the younger plants :D

Reaction score
Shellyann36,- so glad to hear the pictures gave you a good laugh - think they're great - would have loved to have posted more but for some reason they didn't want to be uploaded :D

Yes its perfectly safe for kittens to have catnip, although I have heard that some don't start taking an interest in it until they are around 3 - 6 months old - do you ask because you have a kitty ?

I think you can buy catnip as a plant in many places but do know that it is very easily grown from seed, which is the way that I grow it - especially as I have to keep replacing it because the cats seem to prefer the younger plants :D

I use to keep cats inside but since I have allergies and the twins have allergies as well as asthma we decided against getting an inside cat. Our neighbors have huge dogs that love to stay in our yard so I am not sure an outside kitty would survive around our home so we do without for the time being. I was interested because someone had mentioned their cats getting into their houseplants and that certain plants were not safe. Then I kept seeing that cat chia grass planter and was curious about it. :D One of these days curiosity is going to kill the cat! :eek::D:LOL:

Reaction score
Shellyann36, - I just love responding to this thread - because every time I do I get to have a really good laugh, at the pictures of these cats enjoying their catnip experiences :D
Can imagine that having cats when you all suffer with allergies would be quite a problem for you :( as can having houseplants and cats, which is why having cat grass and catnip around for cats to chew on often helps, but it is always wise to double check the toxic plant lists online - just to make sure that none of the houseplants would be harmful to little kitty and of course as there are plenty of houseplants to choose from - that are not harmful to cats, it means that cat owners needn't be without their plants, just because they have cats :)
Unfortunately it is sometimes their curiosity that does kill them :(

Reaction score
I grew cat grass last year, and it grew so fast and was actually really beautiful and thick grass. My cats would roll in it and eat it and they loved it too.

Reaction score
I grew cat grass last year, and it grew so fast and was actually really beautiful and thick grass. My cats would roll in it and eat it and they loved it too.

It looks really pretty on the commercials. I bet your cats loved it. I can hear them purring now. How was your set up? Did you plant it in a pot or what? Did it live for a long time?

Ask a Question