Chia Herbs

Reaction score
We've probably all seen those commercials with the catchy little tune that goes along with it. I was curious to know if anyone has bought one of their herb growing plants? I would think herbs grow pretty quickly and probably taste so fresh compared to store bought which have been on the shelves for who knows long?

Reaction score
I bought a mix of seeds and beans from the bulk food store to use in my seed sprouter, since the sprout seed mixes aren't cheap. And I can say they definitely don't grow well that way. The seeds are so small they got stuck in the grooves the sprouter has to keep the seeds evenly moist, and they rotted. I do plan to try growing them in soil next, since I don't have any other use for a bunch of chia seeds :p

Reaction score
Country
United States
Commercial Chia seed comes from a tropical sage (Salvia hispanica), native from southern Mexico to northern South America. Before it became famous as a novelty, it was and is still is used as a nutritious seed crop in parts of Latin America. It can be grown as an annual in temperate gardens but it needs a long season to come into flower and fruit. When I have grown it, I didn't get flowers until the end of October. The flowers are blue and fairly attractive. Still, there are many other Salvia with greater ornamental appeal.

In California, and other parts of the arid southwestern U.S. and northwestern Mexico, there is a second sage known as Chia (Salvia columbariae) It is an annual of smaller stature that also produces an edible seed crop, though the yield is less.
However, as an ornamental garden subject, Salvia columbariae would be the preferred choice, for its vivid blue corollas and contrasting deep red calyces are truly striking.

Ask a Question