Cherry trees flower and fruit indoors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A few pictures of my Flowering Brush and Barbados Cherry trees that I have growing inside. In the second picture 2 new cherries are growing. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures from the Brush Cherry because I ate them before I joined this forum. :oops: These are awesome little trees...flower and fruit year round indoors!!

20151101_103708.jpg
20151101_103717.jpg
20151101_103746.jpg
20151101_103806.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They're beautiful!!! Growing fruiting trees indoors sounds like a truly wonderful idea. I'd love to have a Barbados Cherry in my livingroom:D:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The flowers are beautiful! I agree with @claudine of having a fruit tree indoor. You must have a great green house for being in Michigan. I am jealous :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@claudine...There are numerous online nursery's where you can get one of these little fellas. A lot of sites are having specials this time of year with winter setting in. http://www.logees.com/barbados-cherry-malpighia-glabra.html I just checked a few and prices range from $10 to $25. I got both of these trees at a bonsai nursery near where I live for $12 each. They are so easy to care for!! Put them outside in the summer and by a window in the winter.

@IcyBC...I wish I had a green house. I rent at the moment so that is not an option. I have to utilize windows and alternative lighting to keep my stuff alive. It's not easy considering the amount of finicky plants I have (Gardenias & Fuchsias make up the majority) but it's a hobby and I enjoy the challenge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for posting this link Java Guy, but I live in Poland and shipping costs to Europe are too high for me. I think I'll look for those trees in local nurseries. I hope they're available here:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yikes!! Sorry Claudine. Obviously you are not about to order plants from the US. I can only imagine what condition they would be in :eek:. I saw Poland in your avatar but I thought you were just saying you were from Poland. Your English is excellent, better than mine even! Also, your zone of 7a seemed way too warm for Poland to me. I've read a lot of world war 2 books and it seems every time the war in Poland was discussed freezing temperatures were a topic. Also, Poland is farther north than Michigan so it made sense to me that it would be colder. Maybe the Baltic Sea makes it warmer for you? I'm sure you could find a barbados cherry somewhere. Do you have bonsai tree shops anywhere nearby? They are a favorite of bonsai enthusiasts because they grow so well indoors.

Reaction score
Those blossoms are gorgeous! I love the look of the pink flowers. They are developing beautifully. They look like something out of a fantasy world. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yikes!! Sorry Claudine. Obviously you are not about to order plants from the US. I can only imagine what condition they would be in :eek:. I saw Poland in your avatar but I thought you were just saying you were from Poland. Your English is excellent, better than mine even! Also, your zone of 7a seemed way too warm for Poland to me. I've read a lot of world war 2 books and it seems every time the war in Poland was discussed freezing temperatures were a topic. Also, Poland is farther north than Michigan so it made sense to me that it would be colder. Maybe the Baltic Sea makes it warmer for you? I'm sure you could find a barbados cherry somewhere. Do you have bonsai tree shops anywhere nearby? They are a favorite of bonsai enthusiasts because they grow so well indoors.
Awww, thank you so much!!!:D English is not my first language.
It's really not that cold here, especially not lately. I think the climate is changing. Last winter was so warm that I could wear my spring coat. My roses started blooming in the middle of December;) I hope it will be the same this year.
The lowest temperature I experienced here was -20c, but it happened only once, a few years ago. The highest temperature was around 40c.
Thank you for the tip, I'll look for a bonsai tree shop:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks! Yeah, the room has 3 big windows, one facing east and two facing south. It gets a lot of light...when there is light. I would like to get 4 days of sunshine and 3 cloudy but michigan winters don't typically cooperate. I'll have to stay on my toes to keep these guys good throughout the winter. I don't need much growth, I just want them to survive till spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow those are beautiful! Do they require a lot of care? Also, how many cherries will a plant that size grow? I LOVE cherries and they do get expensive. I would love to have a cherry tree in my back yard one day.

Ask a Question