Cherry tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, need help with this monstrosity as it grows out of proportion :)) (supposed to be a dwarf cherry tree). I don't know the variety of it unfortunately but last year I pruned it but it grew back to the same height over summer. Should I keep pruning it? Or leave it as it is? And it does not give much fruit, supposed to be self pollinating.

Attachments

• 20211007_133821.jpg
    20211007_133821.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211007_133836.jpg
    20211007_133836.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

Most deciduous fruit trees, including Cherries (Prunus avium) should be pruned annually. This is often done towards the end of dormancy in Winter. However some growers in some climates also have good success with pruning immediately after harvest in late Summer. I happen to be among this latter group, and do most of my fruit tree pruning post harvest. In a wet summer climate there may be an increased risk of disease with Summer pruning, though it still does need to be done in some situations.

Do you know the cultivars of your tree, preferably both the fruiting scion and the rootstock? I am curious if the rootstock is intended to promote dwarfing. Perhaps no matter, pruning is what will ultimately determine the size of your tree.

Ask a Question