Chayote Squash (Sechium edule)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Two choyote squash were purchased from a local supermarket and there will be an attempt to grow them this Summer.
http://durgan.org/2016/March%202016/10%20March%202016%20Chayote%20Squash%20Prep%20for%20germination/HTML/ 10 March 2016 Chayote Squash Prep for germination.
dsc_869410%20march%202016%20chayote%20squash_std.jpg

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/germinate-chayote-squash-24348.html How to Germinate Chayote Squash
Chayote seeds germinate quickly and easily
Chayote (Sechium edule) has long been cultivated throughout Latin America for its edible fruit, but it is a relative newcomer to gardens within the United States. The fast-growing vines emerge in spring and put on 20 to 30 feet of growth in their first year, eventually maturing to 50 feet if grown under warm, humid conditions. Chayote seeds are viviparous, meaning they sprout while still inside the fruit, so the germination process if different from most other common garden plants. However, it is very simple to do and will yield a lush new vine in just a few months.

Place the chayote squash inside a paper bag large enough to accommodate it without being restrictive. Leave the end open to provide air circulation. Set the paper bag in a cool, dry and dark location such as inside a cupboard.

Check for sprouts in three to five weeks. Look for a knob of greenish growth emerging from the pointed end of the fruit. Leave the chayote inside the cupboard for another week or two, or until the growth reaches 2 to 3 inches in length.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
This is quite an interesting fruit. I have never heard of the chayote squash though I am familiar with the squash family. Personally, I grow butternut squash and would welcome chayote squash as an addition to my garden. Does it grow in the tropics? Can I purchase the plants online? What are the nutritional benefits of chayote squash?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm sorry if my comment is not about gardening anymore but cooking because chayote or sayote here, is one of our favorite vegetable dish. Sauteed with pork bits, it is a good match with fried fish. And the chayote tops containing about 5 or 6 leaves, are also very tasty when sauteed with shrimp paste (called bagoong). Again, it is also a good match for fried fish.

By the way, in the city of Baguio where it is cool unlike in Metro Manila, chayote vines are growing almost everywhere. All we had to do was to pick the fruits or the tops.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is fascinating to know that chayote squash can be grown in a bag whole like that! I thought you have to get the seed out, and dried it first before you can grow it. I must try this :)

Ask a Question