Charity

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Last week my wife went through her wardrobes.
She has a lot of clothes she's not worn for a couple of years, all of them good quality, most hardly worn, some new, nothing inferior to M&S etc.,
She decided that due to her increased lack of mobility, some she would never be able to wear again. So she filled a large bin bag and I said I'd take it down to the village charity shop.
This I did on Wednesday, only to be told that they weren't accepting any donations for three days. So I said I'd return on Monday.
I carried the bag around in my car for five days and returned to the charity shop at 2.00pm today. As I was parked on a double yellow line, I attempted to "dash in and out again," only to be told by a "jobsworth" as I set foot in the door with the bag, that they weren't accepting donations until after 3.00pm.
I said "I'm sorry, this is the second time I've attempted to donate these clothes, I've returned after three days as requested and I'm not coming back again." So I dropped the back turned and walked away.

"Jobsworth" must have picked up the back and rushed after me and stopped me in the street.

"I've told you we aren't accepting donations until after 3.00 pm! You'll have to take it away."

I said, "That's not going to happen."

She said, "Then I'll leave it here on the pavement."

I said, "Suit yourself," and walked away.

I got the feeling this woman felt she was doing people a favour, accepting donations to sell to raise money for a charity.
Won't be taking anything else there in future, there's other charity shops.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Get in touch with the Charity management and complain about the attitude.

I can't be bothered.
As most of those who work in charity shops are volunteers they wouldn't be criticised by the management.
Many do the job as they get first choice of any goods that they get donated.

Any further stuff we want to dispose of, I'll take to a different charity shop.

Ask a Question