Charisma

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I picked up an orange charisma. Does anyone have any experience growing one of these? I have a pot that is 2&1/2ft deep and the diameter across is about 2ft and I'm wanting to know if I can grow it in the pot. If I can't I'll put it in the ground but then I have to choose between an area with terrible soil that is blocked off from the dogs or a planter with great soil that the dogs love to dig in and there is 60-70% chance they'll chew it up or dig it up. I have no experience with growing roses in pots besides one my mom gave me that died because she put it in the pot with reg dirt and not potting soil, lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It would probably do better in the garden. In the Deep South they plant an old shoe under their roses to hold the fertilizer under the roots, because of the clay content of their soil. It also works for any area that has poor soil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
..............Lol I Recon The Dogs Would Love Digging for old Shoes :eek::D(Never Heard of that Practice:))............Rose Do Best In Ground But Can Also Be Grown in a Pot. Its Best to uses A Quite Deep Pot And Generally Go as Large as Possible. A little Bone Meal when planting is always recommended when planting And some General Feed. If planting in a pot Feeding Is much more Important as the roots can only feed off what is in the pot. You Will also Need to water Regularly when potted......... In General all Potted plants Require High maintenance & Become Vary Dependant on you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It would probably do better in the garden. In the Deep South they plant an old shoe under their roses to hold the fertilizer under the roots, because of the clay content of their soil. It also works for any area that has poor soil.

Well, it isn't that the soil is poor quality per se but that the whole area was once a place where the previous homeowners parked their RV so it has over a foot of gravel under the grass (to top it off they planted Bermuda grass which is terrible and gets into everything). I fenced it off from my dogs and built raised planters for my veggies but the rosebush would just be going straight into the ground which is mostly gravel and bad grass, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Charisma I believe is a Floribunda and this group of roses are one of the hardiest. They produce multiple flowers on individual stems and will flower two to three times a year if they are dead-headed.

Could you dig out an area of the gravel for the rose @nhraziano7 and replace it with soil ? It would need a minimum area of 4 x 4ft.

Your dogs may think twice about digging up or chewing a thorny rose. You could try it and plant something else around the base that the dogs won't like, perhaps something they don't like the taste or smell of.

I agree with Daren you need the largest pot possible for a rose and it must be fed and watered regularly from Spring to Autumn (Fall). They are hungry and thirsty shrubs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree that Charisma is hard to take care of. It has really no resistance to pests.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Charisma reportedly does well in California, as long as the soil is neutral or semi-acidic. Planting directly in the soil is probably the best alternative for this rose.
Usually roses in containers are fairly short-lived. Their root system requires more than most gardeners can provide, even in large pots. Being a florabunda, it will blossom a lot. Keep an eye out for the beginnings of black spot and other fungal diseases, and feed it regularly with an approved rose food. I have one rose in a container (a rose bred for container use and very small) and I use Osmacote, which lasts about three months before having to be refreshed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
DirtMechanic, according to several rose nurseries, beginning a schedule of spraying an anti-fungal as soon as the leaves open and spraying every two weeks, or more often if it rains, will control black spot but not completely eliminate it. We have two roses prone to black spot, and I start out with the soap/water/oil solution and if that doesn't keep black spot at bay, I consider it "fall foliage" in that the foliage falls off and the roses put out new leaves.
Tjohn, doesn't the old shoe affect the scent of the rose? Phew!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefcommander

Latest Threads