Celery Leaves - edges are drying and turning brown?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have celery in the greenhouse as we move into Summer, they are doing well accept a few of the new leaves in the centre are turning brown and dry at their edges? Any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Such discoloration could be due to a variety of reasons. Perhaps if you post a picture, the cause will become more clear.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I can get a picture today, but in the mean time I wanted to ask...my celery looks like its starting to bolt! I only just planted 2-3 months ago it in the greenhouse here. We are at the beginning of summer. My understanding was that Celery prefered warmer and moist conditions.

Is there any way I can save the plants? Keep them going?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Celery (Apium graveolens) is considered a biennial that it will normally flower the second year after experiencing a cold winter, but temperature fluctuations can confuse the plant into flowering earlier in its first year of growth (bolting). an exceptionally cool Spring, an exceptionally hot Summer, or both may push a Celery plant into its reproductive phase early. There are some Celery cultivars that are considered more bolt-resistant than others. Celery seed can also be used as a seasoning, but I expect you would prefer to harvest the stalks.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Celery (Apium graveolens) is considered a biennial that it will normally flower the second year after experiencing a cold winter, but temperature fluctuations can confuse the plant into flowering earlier in its first year of growth (bolting). an exceptionally cool Spring, an exceptionally hot Summer, or both may push a Celery plant into its reproductive phase early. There are some Celery cultivars that are considered more bolt-resistant than others. Celery seed can also be used as a seasoning, but I expect you would prefer to harvest the stalks.
Yes I would, but I try to make the most of a plant when I can. We've had a few extremely hot days and the greenhouse (where they are planted) got very warm, so I suspect what you describe is what happened.

I'm wondering if I cut them down to the stump and keep doing so, would I be able to keep them going till Autumn at which point I could let them grow hopefully without bolting. Thoughts? I read a woman too here celery roots and in the off seasons she had them inside and did just that. Had them going for 7 years!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Keeping celery plants alive for seven year... That is a remarkable story though it seems unlikely.

Even keeping celery going through one season is challenging. With commercially-grown celery the entire plant is harvested at once. If you harvest the plant heavily in late Spring but keep the base in the ground, you may be able to get a second harvest in the Fall. Some gardeners speak of harvesting celery continuouslt. This may work where the weather stays mild.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've got green onions going on 6 years now. Can't eat them fast enough. Actually gave away about a quarter of them last spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Green onions (Allium cepa cvs) don't surprise me, as onions are inherently perennial, but Celery (Apium graveolens) is usually obligately monocarpic by the second year (biennial).
Odd and exceptional things do happen all the time with plants, but at the moment, these seven-year old celery plants are only hearsay.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well, I don;t know about 7 year but if I can get a harvest off them in Autumn then I'll be happy! Cut most of them down to stumps and they have started to re-shoot. Hoping to just pick the young shoots for salads and the like through summer. Will let you know how it goes!

Ask a Question