Cedar trees and winter maintenance

Reaction score
We have about 40 small cedar trees in our yard, lining the fences. I'm wondering what needs to be done to protect them in winter? My husband wrapped them one year, and didn't do it the next. So far, they are okay. But, I have seen yellowed trees in other yards that don't seem to repair themselves. I would like to avoid having a similar problem! They are so beautiful and green at the moment.

Reaction score
Well deer are the biggest potential threat, so if there's lots of deer in the area, I'd definitely recommend a fence/mesh around the cedars. But the yellowing isnt from the cold, cedars can handle it easily. Sometimes newly planted cedars that were dug out elsewhere can take 3-4 years before they get a nice colour because their roots were disturbed, as opposed to buying a cedar that was cultivated in a pot and has all its roots intact in the pot.

Ask a Question