Cedar Cypress Trees Burnt - Help

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My neighbour had a fire and burnt down my fence and scorched my Cypress Cedar trees. They were all green before...now they are gold on one side, and mostly green on the other side. I don't know anything about Cedar Cypress trees and how they might recover from being scorched. Will they recover or should I have the neighbour replace them? What you guys (and gals) think? Thanks for any advice. I've provided pictures. Top picture is the burnt side. Bottom picture is the ok side.

Burnt side.jpg

Ok side.jpg

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear that's terrible, conifers don't grow like any other plants, they won't sprout from brown wood. I'd get the neighbour replace them or give you money for new ones. Welcome to the forums.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had a small fire on my property about 20 years ago and some large ashe junipers, also a connifer, were scorched very much like shown. It took many years but they finally grew back but not as full as before. I would get yours replaced although with a tree of that size it will be impossible.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had a small fire on my property about 20 years ago and some large ashe junipers, also a connifer, were scorched very much like shown. It took many years but they finally grew back but not as full as before. I would get yours replaced although with a tree of that size it will be impossible.

That's the sad thing. These trees are probably twenty years old. By the time they regrow, I probably won't be here to see them. It's a major loss to my property. I've had some people telling me that they will regrow after a long time and other people telling me to get them replaced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Just wait. While the leaves may have scorched there is a strong chance the feeding branches did not suffer as badly under the bark and will resend. Slowly, but surely -if they survived the heat.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just wait. While the leaves may have scorched there is a strong chance the feeding branches did not suffer as badly under the bark and will resend. Slowly, but surely -if they survived the heat.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. How do you know about cedar trees if you don't mind me asking? Do you have a degree? I'm really quite upset about them getting scorched. I think the small tree suffered the most as it was closest to the fire. I was wondering if the branches were still ok and if after time it will grow new green tips or If I should just cut my losses and get them replaced. It's a major loss to my property and they are about 20 years old. The trees were all green before the fire. It just happened last winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi. Thanks for your reply. How do you know about cedar trees if you don't mind me asking? Do you have a degree? I'm really quite upset about them getting scorched. I think the small tree suffered the most as it was closest to the fire. I was wondering if the branches were still ok and if after time it will grow new green tips or If I should just cut my losses and get them replaced. It's a major loss to my property and they are about 20 years old. The trees were all green before the fire. It just happened last winter.
Because I burned mine by accident and thought I killed them... but if its been a whole year the branches are probably done for don't you think? Are they flexible and green under the bark or dead and dry? Mine got burnt in the spring but have put out some new growth.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Because I burned mine by accident and thought I killed them... but if its been a whole year the branches are probably done for don't you think? Are they flexible and green under the bark or dead and dry? Mine got burnt in the spring but have put out some new growth.
I actually don't know how the branches are. I haven't inspected them close enough. One lady told me once they're brown...they won't regrow. The fire just happened last winter so if there is a chance for them to come back, i'm thinking it's going to take a while no? I'm thinking of drawing up a legal document that holds the neighbour responsible for 5 years to replace them...if I don't see any new growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Evergreens are slow. As in 3 years minimum IF those will come back. I had a root fungi in some sugi that is just now clearing up.
Resize_20220630_163301_1588.jpg

The fir I got too close to burning branches. I blame the wind of course..
Resize_20220630_163301_1349.jpg

And the cedar in the shade behind the fir. It was stretching in the shade to get around the fir. I took some tips off but it had a twin trunk that must have died or got misshaped in years before I arrived.
Resize_20220630_163300_0989.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I actually don't know how the branches are. I haven't inspected them close enough. One lady told me once they're brown...they won't regrow. The fire just happened last winter so if there is a chance for them to come back, i'm thinking it's going to take a while no? I'm thinking of drawing up a legal document that holds the neighbour responsible for 5 years to replace them...if I don't see any new growth.

Those trees can be worth 100,000 or more. Try to replace them as is and see.

Ask a Question