Cauliflower

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thinking about growing some Cauliflower but I hear it can be a real nightmare. Does anyone have any experience, tips, success/failure stories, advice? I'll take all you've got. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
In areas with hot summers, it is good to start Caulifower (Brassica oleracea Botrytis Group) from seed in Winter, so that good-sized plants can be planted out and mature in Spring, before the Summer heat sets in.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cauliflowers need fertile soil and plenty of moisture. Make sure they are well firmed in and support if you are in a windy area; wind rock will make them blow. Try and keep them growing steadily.
They can suffer from boron deficiency, as can other brassicas, boron helps form a tight white head.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Nightmare? I haven't experienced that, in fact the contrary it's pretty easy to grow. The main success determinate for me has been weather...cool temps but not too cool.

It doesn't tolerate frosts or freezes as well as say cabbage or brussels sprouts and neither does it tolerate hot weather. You have to hit the window just right for your area. Also, important to harvest timely and not wait too long.

cauli 21.JPG

cauliflower 2021.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK on my allotment I have the dreaded Clubroot disease. I therefore grow clubroot resistant brassicas and have no problem in producing first class cauliflowers. The varieties that I grow are Clapton and Zaragoza. I agree with Meadowlark that it's a fine line as to when to harvest them but my wife seems to get it right so I leave that with her.

Ask a Question