Cats in the garden

Reaction score
how do you keep cats out of your flower bed?

There are some neighborhood cats that like to use my flower beds as litter boxes. In the process of doing their business they dig up seeds and ruin my somewhat carefully planned garden.

I have tried putting thorny holly leaves in the dirt and large rocks.

any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I have 2 kittens and I tried the pepper dust but they seemed to be attracted to it rather than repelled by it ... neighbouring cats kept "visiting" to check mine out so I sprayed the "visitors" with some water I had handy and as far as I've seen they haven't been back. But that only works if you're there I guess. I keep discouraging my own kittens from doing any digging etc... in this garden and they come inside to use their litter trays but maybe I'm just lucky so far, I guess and I can't swear that they're not digging etc... in someone else's garden, but I have told my neighbours to shout "out" loudly or hiss at them if they're being pests and hopefully that is working for my neighbours as so far I haven't had any complaints - but still it's early days.

Reaction score
I found a very very dilute solution of Jeyes fluid works well. Just about 15mls in a watering can full of water. It is too weak to be unpleasant but the cats can smell it & avoid it. I've never seen any plant harmed by it if it gets accidentally splashed. You do need to re spray after heavy rain but eventually they get the message & 'go' elsewhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've deterred cats using orange peel before - apparently they don't like citrus so I just scattered it over the soil. It doesn't last long though, but if you like eating oranges then it shouldn't be a problem :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I haven't tried it before because we no longer have a cat problem now that no one is feeding strays and allowing them to reproduce (yeah, sore spot), but I read an article recently on using citrus peels. Since vinegar is used to control weeds you might consider giving that a try as well - it's supposed to deter cats and keep them from jumping on the kitchen counters.

Reaction score
The spray can has worked fine for me.. my neighbors cat was hell bent on destroying my grow lights and plants .. peeing all over them.. a good shot from the spray can for a few days has kept him of permanently from my plants.. he never even takes a small peek at my plants now..
My friend swears by vinegar though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
LOL, that is so funny, Maddie! For that to work for the rest of us we'd have to be there to catch the cats and spray them in the act. I have been tempted to add a bit of vinegar to the bottle we use to chase the cats off the table and counters though. The water alone doesn't seem to phase them much anymore.​

dim

Reaction score
The only thing that I found to work (on most cats), is the ultrasonic cat gadget ...

catwatch_ultrasonic_cat_repellent.jpg

there are cheap ones and more powerfull more expensive ones, that deter foxes and larger animals .... get the best that you can afford

there is also a similar device that connects to a hose, and when it detects motion, it sprays jets of water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The only thing that I found to work (on most cats), is the ultrasonic cat gadget ...

...there is also a similar device that connects to a hose, and when it detects motion, it sprays jets of water

Ha, ha! That one could keep people away from the garden as well. We should tell ACSAPA about this; it might help solve the problem of people entering the yard and removing things.

Reaction score
I've deterred cats using orange peel before - apparently they don't like citrus so I just scattered it over the soil. It doesn't last long though, but if you like eating oranges then it shouldn't be a problem :)
I will have to try this one! Between the kids and I, we can eat a lot of oranges. I have been wondering for a while what would work good as we have way too many strays by us. But I also have a cat who strolls outside often and didn't want her to be bothered.

Vinegar didn't seem to help here. In desperation I sprayed down the fence with it and yet the strays didn't seem bothered by it. I am so tired of them peeing on my deck and in my garden!! They go all over trying to get my kitty's attention.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I will have to try this one! Between the kids and I, we can eat a lot of oranges...

Vinegar didn't seem to help here. In desperation I sprayed down the fence with it and yet the strays didn't seem bothered by it. I am so tired of them peeing on my deck and in my garden!! They go all over trying to get my kitty's attention.

I have an idea for you; take some of the orange peels and steep them in white vinegar for two weeks. You can use the citrus vinegar for cleaning around the house or as an outdoor spray for the stray cats.

Reaction score
I have an idea for you; take some of the orange peels and steep them in white vinegar for two weeks. You can use the citrus vinegar for cleaning around the house or as an outdoor spray for the stray cats.
This is a great idea, thank you! I clean with vinegar a lot so adding orange scent would make it a little easier on the nose :) And if it helps keep the stray cats out too, even better!

Ask a Question