Cats in my Garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I grow catnip for my 5 cats and they wont stop coming into my garden and breaking the stem of the catnip ruining the leaves and over all just killing the plant. I do have a fence up but they end up finding a way under. The only one that actually kills that plant is a large cat that I have, that rolls around on that plant and breaks the stem. if anybody could help be out it'd be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I grow catnip for my 5 cats and they wont stop coming into my garden and breaking the stem of the catnip ruining the leaves and over all just killing the plant. I do have a fence up but they end up finding a way under. The only one that actually kills that plant is a large cat that I have, that rolls around on that plant and breaks the stem. if anybody could help be out it'd be greatly appreciated.
How about growing the catnip in some place other than your garden perhaps in a low hanging basket

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My thoughts exactly. As far as I know, cantip can be grown indoors, so you could plant it in a pot and place it somewhere where your cats can't reach.
My friend is a cat owner too and she keeps most of her plants in the attic, because they're safe there:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
5 Cats?????

I had a similar problem with a stray cat coming into the yard where garden #2 is. I would find the entire plant uprooted and laying on its side. My mother, has had no trouble with her plant however, that is in a hanging basket suspended from her greenhouse. She also has an area in her house that the cats are not allowed into where she has moved all her houseplants to.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Same thought here.... Hanging planters! And with cats you'll need to choose the location with climbing and tight rope like agility in mind! Growing it for them is a great idea, but they will go nuts trying to help themselves to that smorgasbord. I have a cat that I have to watch with all my indoor plants. He'll pull them apart just for entertainment value.

I wonder if one of those inverted hanging planters that are used for tomatoes and such would do? That could give them quite the workout and some laughs for you when they're attempting to get some.

Reaction score
You should start growing your catnip in a hanging basket, that way no cat will have access to it. I really don't see any other way around this. Just give it a try and see what happens!

JoshPosh

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I have the same problem. But my neighbor likes to feed stray cats and they all come to my front yard to poop. I recently laid down walking stones and I'm trying to grow some grass around them. The cats love the soft dirt. Everyday I go outside to find piles of dirt disturbance with cat poop. Its reaks. So lately I've been shoeing a lot of water in the area and making the ground post and hard. Hopefully that will deter them from visiting my yard again. They don't like to be wet.

Reaction score
Maybe I've misread your post Joe B or perhaps I'm missing something here - as I'm somewhat confused :confused:

Which is why I have to ask - if you are growing Catnip for your cats - why is it that you don't want your cats to go near it o_O doesn't that defeat the object of going to the trouble of doing so ?

As to how you can keep cats away from Catnip I have absolutely no idea - especially as its a highly addictive substance that is totally irresistible to the majority of cats and why its often referred to as " marijuana for cats " :D

To be perfectly honest - I think that if you grow Catnip for your cats - you have to accept the fact that they will without a doubt party on it and destroy it - which is why - as I too have a large number of cats - I always grow the Catnip for my cats in an area that isn't too visible - so that it doesn't detract from the rest of the garden - whereas the Catnip I want for myself I grow in containers and hanging baskets - in an area that my cats don't frequent :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ChanellG, your mom is my hero of the day. How does she do it? I mean, you can't tell a cat not to go somewhere...they're cats. I need her secret :D

LOL, she closes the room off! Those silly cats don't listen! You can threaten them with the squirt bottle and they look up at you as if to say, "What? ...But you LOVE me!" The front room in her house has French doors! It's also the room in which her aquarium lives.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have the same problem. But my neighbor likes to feed stray cats and they all come to my front yard to poop. I recently laid down walking stones and I'm trying to grow some grass around them. The cats love the soft dirt. Everyday I go outside to find piles of dirt disturbance with cat poop. Its reaks. So lately I've been shoeing a lot of water in the area and making the ground post and hard. Hopefully that will deter them from visiting my yard again. They don't like to be wet.

I had a similar problem. A long term "houseguest" fed a stray at my family's home even though we asked them not too. Before long there were 13 cats living in my backyard and crapping all down my driveway and on my doorstep. There's not much you can do other than calling the local SPCA to round up and spay the cats. Having them around keeps mice at bay, after all. As for them using your yard as their litter box, try making citrus peel sprays or installing one of those motion control sprinklers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
LOL, she closes the room off! Those silly cats don't listen! You can threaten them with the squirt bottle and they look up at you as if to say, "What? ...But you LOVE me!" The front room in her house has French doors! It's also the room in which her aquarium lives.
OK, I understand now:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I am confused. Are you growing catnip for your cats or not? If you are growing it for them, why won't you let them have it? I mean, isn't that the purpose of catnip?

Anyway, if you are growing catnip not because of your cats, then I suggest that you just put them in a room where your cats do not have access to. Hanging baskets are still not that ideal because you'll be surprised as to how high cats can jump when they want something.

Reaction score
I am confused. Are you growing catnip for your cats or not? If you are growing it for them, why won't you let them have it? I mean, isn't that the purpose of catnip?

Anyway, if you are growing catnip not because of your cats, then I suggest that you just put them in a room where your cats do not have access to. Hanging baskets are still not that ideal because you'll be surprised as to how high cats can jump when they want something.

Nice to know that someone else is confused by this question and that you too are thinking along the same lines as me :D

Ask a Question